none
Copying Drivers From One MDT to Antother RRS feed

• Question

• I'm setting up MDT 2013 on a brand new 2012 R2 server. I'd like to copy some of the drivers from my older MDT 2012 server if I can. From what I can see, there's not really an easy way to do this. The view from the Out-of-Box-Drivers section doesn't match with the underlying folder structure in the file system. Has anyone found a creative way to do this?

Orange County District Attorney

Tuesday, March 11, 2014 4:04 PM

All replies

• I would do this -

1. Connect to your old MDT server and create a selection profile.  Inside of this selection profile, be sure you select any drivers or items you want copied to your new deployment share. 

2. Setup a linked deployment share and point it to your new deployment share.  Make sure you select the profile you configured in step one.  It is important to configure this deployment link as merge, not replace.  Replace will wipe folder contents.

3. Right click on your newly created deployment share and select replicate content.  Kick your feet up and wait on replication.

Tuesday, March 11, 2014 6:31 PM
  • Thanks for the great idea. I gave it a shot and discovered that you can't replicate stuff from MDT 2012 to MDT 2013. Looks like a limitation on versions.

Tuesday, March 11, 2014 9:27 PM
  • You can just drag and drop between shares, not only will the folder structure within MDT be the same, the files underneath are being copied to the new share. MrBrooks suggestion also works, but this one is quicker.

Just open your 2012 mdt share in your 2013 mdt console and choose not to upgrade it. Make sure both shares are opened. Drag and drop as you please!

If this post is helpful please click "Mark for answer", thanks! Kind regards

Tuesday, March 11, 2014 9:29 PM
  • Thanks for the suggestion. I hadn't thought about opening the MDT 2012 share in the MDT 2013 console. I tried it but it's not letting me go any further without checking the box:

"Upgrade the content of the deployment share (if required)"

Tuesday, March 11, 2014 9:56 PM
  • That's strange, never encountered that before. If you make a backup of the "control" and "scripts" folder of your 2012 MDT share, then there's no harm in upgrading it to 2013. You can always roll back when needed, without having to copy/park the entire share somewhere else!

Good luck!

If this post is helpful please click "Mark for answer", thanks! Kind regards

Tuesday, March 11, 2014 10:00 PM
  • At this point upgrading the 2012 MDT is worth it to me.

Tuesday, March 11, 2014 10:05 PM