none
Internet Explorer Settings Wrong for New Users RRS feed

• Question

• Hello all,

We use roaming profiles with Terminal Server and I noticed today that if I create a new user, or delete the roaming profile for an existing user, when they log in and a new profile is created for them, Internet Options's Security Tab looks like this:

The typical icons are replaced with these odd things and programs that require permissions granted by Trusted Sites do not work.

All of my existing users appear to be "grandfathered" in as everything works for them. It's only when I make a new profile for an existing user or create a new user, this problem appears.

We use GPO for a couple of things in IE. One is to set a few sites as Trusted and Local Intranet using the Site to Zone Assignment List (Computer Configuration - Policies - Administrative Templates - Windows Components - Internet Explorer - Internet Control Panel - Security Page).

Another is to customize the title bar. That doesn't work anymore either, but I understand that settings listed under "Internet Explorer Maintenance" have been depreciated. Still, they work for the "grandfathered" profiles.

I believe this issue is related to upgrading our Terminal Servers to Internet Explorer 11. For some reason, there's something that IE11 doesn't like about our settings when it comes to new profiles, and I haven't been able to figure out what that is.

Has anyone else seen this? Any help/suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance,

John

Edit: Another thing I just noticed, my Compatibility List GPO settings (Computer Configuration - Policies - Administrative Templates - Windows Components - Internet Explorer - Compatibility View) aren't showing up in the new profiles either.
    • Edited by John LaTour Monday, May 19, 2014 7:07 PM added detail
    Monday, May 19, 2014 6:49 PM

Answers

All replies

• Thinking that IE ESC may be involved somehow. It has always been on for Users, so perhaps IE 11 treats it differently. While the icons look strange, it's possible that it's just cosmetic...

Tuesday, May 20, 2014 12:49 PM
  • Hi,

Have you tried to run gpresult and check what GPOs are successfully applied in the new profiles?

For IE ESC, if you enable this setting, it will automatically change the Internet Explorer Security Zone settings, such as Internet Zone, the security level is set to high, etc. To eliminate the cause, I suggest you turn off it as a test.

Yolanda Zhu
    TechNet Community Support

Wednesday, May 21, 2014 5:39 AM
  • Yes. The GPResult shows everything same as before, which is why I was really confused as to the difference in functionality.

I think it's all coming down to IE ESC, or at least the way the newer browser follows the rules. Turning it off makes all the difference in the world. Are these things documented anywhere for reference?

Thanks,

John

Wednesday, May 21, 2014 12:33 PM
  • Hi John,

I haven't found any documents about ESC changes the icon of security tab, but ESC does have something related with security zones, you can find detailed information in this link

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dd883248(v=ws.10).aspx

Yolanda Zhu
    TechNet Community Support

Monday, May 26, 2014 8:54 AM