none
Windows update fails, errorcode "WindowsUpdate_80246002" "WindowsUpdate_dt000"

Question

• Hi.

Mikael Nilsen here.

When I try to use Windows update, I get the errorcode "WindowsUpdate_80246002" "WindowsUpdate_dt000"

I have not installed any new programs, only updated Adobe Air.

I tried to uninstall Adobe Air to check if it was the problem, but got the same errorcode, so why this came up I don`t understand.

I hope you can help me with this, as soon as possible.

Best regards

Mikael Nilsen

Thursday, August 28, 2014 1:37 PM

Answers

All replies

• Hi,

you you can try this :

first  stop sevices wuauserv

and than  rename the directory

%systemroot%\SoftwareDistribution

and restart again the service wuauserv again.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/958056

thanks,

Israel Chemo

Thursday, August 28, 2014 2:13 PM
  • Hi Chemo,

I'm Angelo, I have the same problem with windows update. Error code: "WindowsUpdate_80246002" "WindowsUpdate_dt000"

I tried what you wrote  but it didn't work.

Do you think it is possible to do something else?

Thanks

Angelo

• Edited by zefiry Thursday, August 28, 2014 3:12 PM
    Thursday, August 28, 2014 2:57 PM
  • Hi again.

As Angelo wrote, that did not work here either.

Do you have some other solutions for this?

Thanks

Mikael

• Edited by kemikael Thursday, August 28, 2014 4:12 PM
    Thursday, August 28, 2014 4:12 PM
  • I also am having the same issue with windows update.

The Error started happening after this update had been installed, it was the only update installed and my windows update was working fine before the update.

Since this update was installed I have been unable to get windows update to check for new updates.

I keep getting the Error Code message WindowsUpdate_80246002

Any solutions out there to resolve this?

"MS14-045 - Important
     -
    Reason for Revision: V3.0 (August 27, 2014): Bulletin rereleased
       to announce the replacement of the 2982791 update with the 2993651
       update for
    all supported releases of Microsoft Windows. See the
       Update FAQ for
    details.
     - Originally posted: August 12, 2014
     - Updated: August 27,
     - Bulletin Severity Rating: Important
     - Version: 3.0"

Thursday, August 28, 2014 5:02 PM
  • I have the same issue, it started from yesterday (27.08.2014).

For now, I have tried everything.

Seems like windows update cannot download one file (from windowsupdate.log file):

WARNING: DownloadFileInternal failed for http://download.microsoft.com/v11/2/windowsupdate/redir/v6-win7sp1-wuredir.cab: error 0x80190194

and few lines below: WARNING: WU client failed Searching for update with error 0x80246002

Thursday, August 28, 2014 6:52 PM
  • Earlier today, I had the same problem with Win 7 home 64bit. It started this morning, the last update in windows update history was KB2993651 installed yesterday 8-27-2014.

9 hours ago,  tried these fixes:

1.  Ran the win 7 Microsoft Fixit Windows update repair tool.
    2.  Downloaded Fix It Tool 50202 that completely re installs Windows Update components
    3.  Renamed the SoftwareDistribution directory and restarted the wuauserv  service .
    4.  Did the repair to .NET framework in the programs section of Control panel.
    5.  Uninstalled yesterday's KB2993651 update via the Windows update history section.
    6.  Ran SFC /scannow from an elevated cmd prompt, which found no file errors.

None of the fixes made any difference, I still had the same problem, Windows update gave the same error code - WindowsUpdate_80246002 WindowsUpdate_dt000.

I did reset the automatic windows update time to 2pm and Windows update did re-install the kb2993651 update that I just uninstalled 30 minutes earlier, however I could not manually check for Windows updates.

UPDATE 9hours later..... Windows Update is working!!!    I have not done anything to the computer since I posted the above information, 9 hours ago when Windows update was NOT working. Windows 7 has been running since that last post with no reboots. I just checked for updates with Windows update and now it is working. I found 10 optional updates including .NET Framework 4.5.1 for Windows 7 x64. I mention that update since I did run the REPAIR .NET 4.5 framework (step 4 above) which completed earlier today, and now it found an update for it.

At any rate, Windows update is now working. I have no idea what fixed Windows update since it did not work as I applied each fix earlier today. If I had the problem again, I would follow the 6 steps above, wait for several hours and cross my fingers that the problem will be fixed. 

Friday, August 29, 2014 4:17 AM
  • Hi.

I asked the same question in the Norwegian forum, and got the answer to delete update KB 2982791 , and that worked for me.

Mikael

Friday, August 29, 2014 9:28 AM
  • Hi,

Like Gary said, you could try to reset the Windows Update components as below:

How do I reset Windows Update components?

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/971058/en-us

Karen Hu
    TechNet Community Support

Friday, August 29, 2014 9:31 AM
  • Hi Karen,

sorry but the problem has NOT been solved.

Thanks for your help

Angelo

Friday, August 29, 2014 12:13 PM
  • You are probably hit by the DNS issue that has hit many others too, including me.

http://windowsitpro.com/windows-update/tracking-error-80246002-windows-update-problem

• Edited by staleh Friday, August 29, 2014 1:07 PM
    Friday, August 29, 2014 1:04 PM
  • Hi,

Like Gary said, you could try to reset the Windows Update components as below:

How do I reset Windows Update components?

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/971058/en-us

Karen Hu
    TechNet Community Support

This worked for me.
    Friday, August 29, 2014 5:28 PM
  • Tuesday, September 2, 2014 1:52 AM
  • Hi, your answer was helpful to me.

I had the same issue, but i flushed my dns through the cmd command and it was solved

Thanks Foteini

Thursday, September 4, 2014 2:01 PM
  • how do you delete this file. i have the same problem im am norwegian ass well so you can type in norwegian.

Saturday, August 1, 2015 10:55 PM
  • Hi.

Mikael Nilsen here.

When I try to use Windows update, I get the errorcode "WindowsUpdate_80246002" "WindowsUpdate_dt000"

I have not installed any new programs, only updated Adobe Air.

I tried to uninstall Adobe Air to check if it was the problem, but got the same errorcode, so why this came up I don`t understand.

I hope you can help me with this, as soon as possible.

Best regards

Mikael Nilsen

Saturday, January 7, 2017 9:05 PM