none
Is it possible to read a USB flash drive on a BitLocker-enabled computer while blocking write? RRS feed

• Question

• Let's imagine I have BitLocker enabled on all my enterprise machines and I want all users be able to read anything from any USB flash drive, but the moment they try to write something into the USB flash drive, Windows will first ask to encrypt the USB flash drive, before copying anything to it. Right now, whenever I plug in a USB flash drive Windows asks me to encrypt it before I do anything on it, even read.

Is it possible?

Friday, March 2, 2018 1:52 AM

All replies

• No, it’s impossible now.

For enterprise level users, we can only apply these BitLocker policies on removable Data Drive:

No one is related to the specific access permission. The most commonly used GPO is Deny write access to removable drivers not protected by BitLocker.

Regards

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Monday, March 5, 2018 1:39 AM
  • We have not heard from you in a couple of days. Please post back at your convenience if we can assist further.

If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Friday, March 30, 2018 10:09 AM
  • If you resolved it using our solution, please "mark it as answer" to help other community members find the helpful reply quickly.
    If you resolve it using your own solution, please share your experience and solution here. It will be very beneficial for other community members who have similar questions.

Tuesday, April 3, 2018 8:52 AM