none
No thumbnail preview for Word documents (or folders)

Question

• Just switched to Windows 7 Ultimate x64 on a new machine (from Vista x86). I just noticed that I on Windows 7 don't get thumbnail previews for Word (Office 2007) documents (as I have been used to on Vista x86). Powerpoint document thumbnails preview as expected. Is this normal?

I also notice that sometimes folder icons don't show preview of folder contents (they seem to take a while before beeing updated to indicate the folder contents). But, this is a separate issue I guess...
    Wednesday, March 3, 2010 9:13 AM

Answers

• JorgenJ,
    In Word 2007 or 2010, you must check a box "save thumbnail" from the Save As dialog box when saving a document.

I opened an old document, selected that box, and saved the document again.

I then went to Windows Explorer or the Documents folder. At the top right,  view choices you must select Extra Large, Large, or Medium icons, Tile or Content for the thumbnail to appear for the word document.

When I selected those the thumbnail appears.

The thumbnail option must be saved when the document is saved or it is not included.

That should do it for you.

What's the result?  
    • Marked as answer by JørgenJ Tuesday, March 16, 2010 8:57 AM
    Monday, March 15, 2010 10:19 PM

All replies

• Hi JorgenJ,
    Click the Start button, select Help and Support, enter Change Folder Options. Verify your settings for the folders to display thumbnails and folder contents.

If that does not help, troubleshoot Take Ownership of Folders. That may help with folders or files that you imported.
    Wednesday, March 3, 2010 11:47 AM
  • Thanks for the reply! Folder options looks good. As mentioned other Office documents (like Powerpoint) have thumbnails with content preview, its only Word that shows a generic Word icon for the thumbnail.
    • Proposed as answer by millennial88 Tuesday, July 15, 2014 9:08 PM
    Wednesday, March 3, 2010 1:33 PM
  • Hi,

See if clearing the thumbnail cache (using Disk Cleanup) helps.
    Ramesh Srinivasan, Microsoft MVP [Windows Desktop Experience]
    Wednesday, March 3, 2010 2:59 PM
    Answerer
  • Hi, thanks for the reply!

Clearing the thumbnail cache did not have any effect. I am not able in any way to get a preview thumbnail for Word files (is this meant to work at all?). Turning on the preview pane yields a preview of Word files though.

I have done some more testing on thumbnail previews for folders (see my original posting). It (mostly) seem to work (giving a preview of the files/folders inside the folder). However, folders on the desktop is very unreliable. Most of the time (but not always), they do not show any thumbnail preview. In same cases an F5 in a folder restores folder thumbnail previews of contained folders (but no always).

In other ways (like JPEGs, Powerpoint files etc.), thumbnail previews behaves as expected.
    Wednesday, March 3, 2010 7:16 PM
  • Here are some ways you can have a try:

1. Guided Help: Troubleshoot Aero problems in Windows 7

2. As the issue only occurs with word office, the codec pack in Word may be corrupted, I suggest that you have a repair of word. Please refer to the following KB:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/924611

3. Rebuild the icon cache as well.

1) Click Start, and open Computer.
    2) On the Tool bar, click Organize and choose Folder and Search Options.
    3) Click the View tab, and check to select the Show hidden files and folders option, and click OK.
    4) Then, enter the following directory:

%USERPROFILE%\AppData\Local

5) Find the IconCache.db file, and rename it as IconCache.db.old.
    6) Close the window, and restart the computer.

Best Regards
    Dale
    • Marked as answer by Dale QiaoModerator Tuesday, March 9, 2010 2:17 AM
    • Unmarked as answer by JørgenJ Monday, March 15, 2010 1:20 PM
    Friday, March 5, 2010 3:12 AM
  • Thanks for the reply!

I have now tried all the suggested steps (including repairing my Office installation and clearing the thumbnail cache). However, I can still see no thumbnail preview for Word documents (only a generic Word icon). Thumbnail previews for Powerpoint files still work OK. Strange...

I know that for certain document types (like PDF), there are various problems with thumbnail previews when running a 64-bit version of Windows. So, I am just wondering, is thumbnail previews for Word files supposed to work at all on Windows 7 x64?
    • Proposed as answer by ChrystinP Monday, August 10, 2015 3:36 PM
    Monday, March 15, 2010 1:19 PM
  • JorgenJ,
    In Word 2007 or 2010, you must check a box "save thumbnail" from the Save As dialog box when saving a document.

I opened an old document, selected that box, and saved the document again.

I then went to Windows Explorer or the Documents folder. At the top right,  view choices you must select Extra Large, Large, or Medium icons, Tile or Content for the thumbnail to appear for the word document.

When I selected those the thumbnail appears.

The thumbnail option must be saved when the document is saved or it is not included.

That should do it for you.

What's the result?  
    • Marked as answer by JørgenJ Tuesday, March 16, 2010 8:57 AM
    Monday, March 15, 2010 10:19 PM
  • Excellent!!!

That did the trick! This was really a surprise. I have never noticed this checkbox before (not so often you do a "Save As"). By some strange accident this must have been turned on when I installed Office 2007 in my Vista x86 machine, but for some reason turned off on the Windows 7 x64 installation. The setting seems to be "sticky", so I do not have to turn it on for every document save fortunately.

Great!
    Thanks!
    Tuesday, March 16, 2010 9:05 AM

• The thumbnail option must be saved when the document is saved or it is not included.

Hi Nano Warp,

This response was very helpful. I hope this reply finds you well, as this question was quite some time ago. In regards to your italicized comment, Is there a way to create a thumbnail on a previously saved document? I see a preview when I create a new document with the "save thumbnail" checkbox enabled, but not when I open a previously saved document, open save as and enable the "save thumbnail" checkbox.

Thanks in advance for your response.

Thursday, September 6, 2012 1:44 PM
  • thanks really its help full....!
    Tuesday, September 11, 2012 6:26 PM
  • Thanks for the novel approach to the "No thumbnail Preview with Word" issue. You may have figured this out already, but

For Word 2010, Microsoft didn't include the Word Previewer that's included with versions 2007 and earlier. So without this "workaround" you'd otherwise not be able to preview any Word docs created with version 2010. (I struggled with this for a while, but eventually looked this up and learned that this is the reason that the preview fails to work with docs created after version 2007.)

Thanks for your suggestion(s)!

Thursday, September 13, 2012 5:24 AM
  • to dmvgrl's question: " Is there a way to create a thumbnail on a previously saved document? I see a preview when I create a new document with the "save thumbnail" checkbox enabled, but not when I open a previously saved document, open save as and enable the "save thumbnail" checkbox. "

I had the same issue and found a workaround that did the trick for me: I opened the previously saved document, but then did a "Save As" on my desktop (of course with the thumbnail option ticked) where it saved with thumbnail preview. All I now had to do was to drag the new file into the folder where the old file was and replace it. Hope this works for you too :)

• Proposed as answer by SyAnTh Friday, April 5, 2013 7:40 AM
    • Edited by SyAnTh Friday, April 5, 2013 7:44 AM
    Friday, April 5, 2013 7:31 AM
  • thanks really its help full....!
    Friday, February 19, 2016 11:42 AM