none
Dell Free Fall Sensor driver is not installing during imaging RRS feed

• Question

• Laptop: Dell Latitude E5530

Dell Driver: ST Microelectronics Free Fall Data Protection Driver

Download: http://www.dell.com/support/drivers/us/en/04/DriverDetails/Product/latitude-e6430?driverId=V6681&osCode=W732&fileId=3292011637&languageCode=en&categoryId=CS# 

MDT Version: MDT 2012 Update 1

When I deploy an image to this laptop, it successfully finishes without errors.  When I check the Device Manager, I see an "Unknown Device" with the Hardware ID of ACPI\SMO8810.  When I run the Dell package ST-MICRO_FFS-LNG3DM_A06_V6681_setup_ZPE.exe, and go through the wizard and install the driver, the "Unknown Device" goes away.  

I've imported the driver(s) into the Out-of-Box Drivers, and updated the deployment share.  I've updated the Boot Image in WDS as well.  The image should be working!   

Any assistance would be great!

• Edited by Fernando Chanco Thursday, November 21, 2013 2:02 AM Forgot MDT version
    Thursday, November 21, 2013 1:58 AM

All replies

• No assistance? :\
    Friday, November 22, 2013 4:12 AM
  • What is the question?

It's possible that the device was not enumerated by ZTIDrivers.wsf during the WinPE phase. It is also possible that the ST Microelectronics driver does not lend itself well to PNP Driver installation.

1. Have you tried installing the driver via the Device Manager (devmgmt.msc)? Click on the device, and run "update driver..." then select the *.inf file to install. If you *can* figure out how to install the driver from here, then you will have a *more* difficult time with MDT Driver framework.

2. Then... you could add the dell package as an application step, as long as you know the silent command line steps, this would avoid the MDT Driver Framework.

2. I don't understand why you would update the boot image, the boot image only needs drivers that are required during WinPE. The Free Fall Data PRotection driver is not a boot critical device.

3. If you are still trying to get the ZTIDrivers.wsf route working, and still having problems, post the pnpenum.xml file, and the BDD.log file to a public share like skydrive, and post the link here.

Keith Garner - keithga.wordpress.com

Friday, November 22, 2013 6:24 AM
  • Thank you for your response, Keith Garner.

I'll answer your questions.

1 - No, I haven't.  I will try to install it through the Device Manager.  

2 - I don't know the silent command line steps.  I could contact Dell to see if they would assist me with that.  This will be a .EXE they give me, and not an .MSI.  Not sure it that'll make a difference...

The other 2 -  I noticed that whenever I update the Deployment Share (i.e., due to importing new drivers), the .WIM on WDS doesn't increase in file size.  To fix that, I end up removing the current boot image, and then re-add the same .WIM file.  Once I do that, I see the file size increase.  

3 - Where are the pnpenum.xml and BDD.log files located?  

Saturday, November 23, 2013 5:28 AM