Sharepoint Central Administration Not working after installation and conifguration of WSS 3.0 RRS feed

• Question

• Hi

I installed WSS 3.0 and  I am unable to launch the default Sharepoint website. I have run the configuration wizard and it completed the configuration successsfully

Please suggest possible solution

The log states :  The  operation is not valid due to the current state of the object

Failed to retrieve the server bindings with an internal server invalidoperations exceptioen.

the only problem,  i see is the IIS and Sharepoint share the same port 80, but even if i change the default port, i cannot launch the default sharepoint website.

Thanks

• Edited by fimster Thursday, January 12, 2012 10:20 PM
    Thursday, January 12, 2012 9:20 PM

Answers

• Did you configure the sharepoint central admin website as port 80? You shouldn't do this. The central admin site is an administration site and not a default site to be used. It is only intended to be used as administration site and not for collaboration or similar purposes. You should host this site on a non-standard port and not on port 80. As you just installed sharepoint I would recommend to run psconfig wizzard again, remove the server from the farm, delete the configuration and admin content database and run psconfig again. This time you should use a different port (e.g. 8888 or similar) for your central admin.

Stefan Goßner
    Senior Escalation Engineer - Microsoft CSS
    This post is provided "AS IS" with no warrenties and confers no rights.
    • Marked as answer by fimster Saturday, January 14, 2012 1:58 AM
    Thursday, January 12, 2012 10:55 PM

All replies

• Did you configure the sharepoint central admin website as port 80? You shouldn't do this. The central admin site is an administration site and not a default site to be used. It is only intended to be used as administration site and not for collaboration or similar purposes. You should host this site on a non-standard port and not on port 80. As you just installed sharepoint I would recommend to run psconfig wizzard again, remove the server from the farm, delete the configuration and admin content database and run psconfig again. This time you should use a different port (e.g. 8888 or similar) for your central admin.

Stefan Goßner
    Senior Escalation Engineer - Microsoft CSS
    This post is provided "AS IS" with no warrenties and confers no rights.
    • Marked as answer by fimster Saturday, January 14, 2012 1:58 AM
    Thursday, January 12, 2012 10:55 PM
  • You may just be able to right-click and stop the default web site which should fix the conflict. But if you have put the central administration site on port 80 it's a good idea to do as Stefan suggests.
    Friday, January 13, 2012 2:28 PM
  • Thanks,here's what i did

- Re-installed WSS 3.0 in basic mode

- Ran  psconfig to create the config db (i had to do this because when i ran the config wizard it was faling on the connecting to configdb step)

- Re-ran the wizard and it worked fine. i was able to launch both the default SP site on port 80 and the central admin app on a (different port using localhost only( and not the server name for some reason)

should the config db be created in the windows internal dabase (SSEE) because when i ran the psconfig the db was created in SQL Server 2008

Thanks

Friday, January 13, 2012 11:15 PM