Subscriber Access issue Exchange 2010 UM with Avaya RRS feed

• Question

• HI,

We are currently implementing Exchange 2010 UM with Avaya SES server 5.X and a S8500 CM 5.x.

Everything is working fine so far with the exception of subscriber access and MWI.

My biggest problem has been subscriber access. We have setup the subscriber access number in the UM dial plan. Everyone to date can access auto attendants and call are transferred to voicemail boxes, however when the subscriber access number is dialed, the subscriber dialing the number receives an error stating that the user does not have a valid voice mailbox. In this case the subscriber access number is 7501. Ext. 7501 has not been assigned to any voice mailbox.

Has anyone come across this issue or have any similar issue or suggestions?

Thanks,

John

Monday, March 29, 2010 4:50 PM

All replies

• Avaya SES 5.x with Exchange 2010 UM we haven't been able to make MWI work for yet.  Haven't tried with SES 5.2.1 SP2 nor Exchange 2010 SP1 yet.  Either one of those may help.  We found it to be more on the Avaya side being responsible for the issue.

As far as your other issue that may be how the call is presented to UM.  Since it appears UM is responding like it would for a direct call, that part looks right.  But the calling party ID UM is trying to take as that number being the mailbox number that is attempting to log in.  Is the subscriber's extension/mailbox number not being sent to UM on those direct calls?

Wednesday, April 21, 2010 5:56 PM
  • Eric,

Thanks for your suggestion. I'm not sure. We've completed our implementation for the most part, this is the last oustanding problem. We are going to conduct tests and traces to determine the cause. I will post the results.

As far as the MWI issue, we had the same problem. I opened a case with Microsoft. We determined that the Exchange 2010 SIP stack is not fully compatible with Avaya SES and Call Manager. The MWI NOTIFY packet is not formatted the way that Avaya CM wants to see it. Specifically, the packet does not contain adjunct info. This also may be related to why subscriber access is not working properly.

We resolved the issue using FreeMWI. It's labor intensive to setup, but it works consistently now (we've been using it for 4 weeks with no issues) and it's free! If you need more info. please let me know.

John

Wednesday, April 28, 2010 1:51 PM
  • HI,

We are currently implementing Exchange 2010 UM with Avaya SES server 5.X and a S8500 CM 5.x.

Everything is working fine so far with the exception of subscriber access and MWI.

My biggest problem has been subscriber access. We have setup the subscriber access number in the UM dial plan. Everyone to date can access auto attendants and call are transferred to voicemail boxes, however when the subscriber access number is dialed, the subscriber dialing the number receives an error stating that the user does not have a valid voice mailbox. In this case the subscriber access number is 7501. Ext. 7501 has not been assigned to any voice mailbox.

Has anyone come across this issue or have any similar issue or suggestions?

Thanks,

John

Hi John,

We have the same issue you describe at our company. We have a Mitel 3300 PBX and Ex 2010 UM. We had not problem accessing our Subscriber Access numbers on Ex 2007 UM but since we migrated to 2010 we get the following:

"Sorry the person you are trying to reach does not have a valid voice mailbox in our system. Goodbye.” <Call is then disconnected>.

This behaviour is the same whether we use direct SIP or route through a Dialogic DMG 2030 gateway.

I did find this: http://msexchangeteam.com/archive/2009/06/29/451695.aspx where a chap called Juerg Stadelmann mentions a change in the way SIP header information is processed. I don't know whether this is related or not, because we can access Auto Attendants no problem, and the call traffic is formed in  the same way from what I can see:

Event Logs for Subscriber Access Example that Fails (caller = 3029; called=3750; divert=3059; Dial plan assigned SA number is 3059):

Event log:

A call was received with the following parameters:

Calling Party: "sip:xxxxxxxxxx@192.168.5.1:5060;user=phone",

Called Party: "sip:3750@192.168.5.3;user=phone",

Diversion Information: "<tel:3069>;reason=unconditional",

And:

The user with extension (3069) on dial plan "<Dial Plan Name>" isn't enabled for Unified Messaging. The call with ID 01B2785F9981400000001B6D@<Gateway Name> was received from IP gateway "192.168.5.1".

Event Logs for Auto Attendant Example which works  (called=3750; divert=3070; Dial plan assigned AA number is 3070):

A call was received with the following parameters:

Calling Party: "sip:xxxxxxxxxx@192.168.5.1:5060;user=phone",

Called Party: "sip:3750@192.168.5.3;user=phone",

Diversion Information: "<tel:3070>;reason=unconditional"

And:

The Unified Messaging server has received a call from "xxxxxxxxxx", with user extension "3070" and a call ID of "01B27870DD81400000001B89@<server FQDN>".

It just looks like Ex 2010 has different behaviour in how it handles a call destined for an AA compared to an SA, but then you'd expect more people to be seeing this issue.

Did you get anywhere with your investigation on this issue?

Cheers,

Garry

Thursday, May 13, 2010 12:03 PM
  • John,

Did you ever get this resolved?

I am having the same problem. We have an Avaya Defininty integrated to Exchange 2007 using a dialogic gateway and it has been working fine for serveral years. We just migrated to Exchange 2010 and when we move a user everything works fine except subscriber access.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Bill

Thursday, August 19, 2010 7:33 PM
  • Hi Bill,

I have seen this problem a number of times now with Mitel PBXs where access to the SA number (specifically) fails when connecting to Ex 2010. The way in which the SIP divert info is handled has been changed in Ex 2010 - I understand it adheres more rigidly to RFCs (but I've been told it will be changed back in Ex 2010 SP1 because of the problems people have experienced).

If you're using a Dialogic gateway then you're in luck. The workaround is to just remove the redirect number at the gateway before the call is passed on to UM - you will then find that UM honours the call. To do this, you'll need an inbound TDM rule on the Dialogic that specifically handles the call routing to UM for access to the SA number. Call it e.g. "PBX to Ex 2010 SA" and ensure it is processed before other UM calls. In the Inbound Request Matching you should enter:

Called Number: <this is the hunt group pilot number for your dial plan>

Redirect number: <this is the Subscriber Access number on the dial plan>

In the Outbound Rules section, in the Redirect Number field, just blank the entry in that field, so there is no text at all. This will strip the redirect number from the SIP header and UM should then answer the call.

Let me know how you get on.

Cheers,

Garry

• Proposed as answer by Sam Buckhalter Tuesday, November 15, 2011 11:44 PM
    • Unproposed as answer by Sam Buckhalter Tuesday, November 15, 2011 11:45 PM
    Friday, August 20, 2010 9:14 AM
  • Hi Garry,

Your solution makes sense, but I do not see the fields you specify on our gateway. It looks like I need to upgrade the firmware to get them.

I'll get that done and let you know how it goes.

Thansk!

Bill

Friday, August 20, 2010 12:17 PM
  • Hi Garry,

We have discovered another issue with EX 2010 UM. It does not allow transfers to extension numbers from the auto attendant if you have a key mapping configured that uses the same number that you extension start with. In our case we have 3 digit extensions that start with 2 and we have an option in the AA to dial 2. As soon as the caller dials 2 for the ext, Exchange immediately transfers to the option and does not wait for the rest of the digits.

It looks like this is also fixed in SP1. I am told that SP1 is only a couple of weeks away, so we are going to hold off on moving users and I have pointed the gateway back to the EX 2007 UM server for now.

Thanks for your help!

• Proposed as answer by remlap01 Sunday, August 22, 2010 6:20 PM
    Sunday, August 22, 2010 6:20 PM
  • We are running Exchange 2010 with SP1 and have everything working with the only exception being Subscriber Access from offsite calling in. We are in the process of implementing a Mitel 3300 and get the auto-attendants to pickup, also when you call a users extension and no answer, it diverts to the users specific voicemail. Just no subscriber access. Has anyone got this to work or have any ideas as to what may be wrong? Any help would be very much appreciated! Thank you!
    Monday, October 18, 2010 9:39 PM
  • Hi, I am about to implement this a 2010 UM role into an Avaya myself, I was wondering if you (or anyone here) had any tips to make the implementation as smooth as possbile?  I have done a few 2007 integrations before so if it is more or less the same then great - otherwise it would be good to get some insight.

Cheers

M

Monday, November 8, 2010 4:01 AM
  • Roger,

We are a Mitel dealer in PA and we are having an issue with getting to our AA's on the Exchange 2010 box to work when its a redirect from a ring group or overflowed from an acd group.

It works with a DID --> AA

It doesnt work with DID --> Group --> AA

The caller gets the message about there not being a subscriber with that mailbox etc...

If you dial the pilot number of the AA from a phone internally it works no problem it just seems to be if its overflowed from a group.

Do you folks have that working ok and if so can you tell me how?

Tuesday, November 30, 2010 3:11 AM
  • RodgerH,

We have just implemented our first 2010 with Mitel 3300. Did you ever get the issue resolved.

Did you have a DSP II and compression licenses?

We are going to try that next Mitel says "not needed on 2010 Exchange", but we are running out of things to try. 

mf

Friday, December 10, 2010 3:54 PM
  • Roger,

We are a Mitel dealer in PA and we are having an issue with getting to our AA's on the Exchange 2010 box to work when its a redirect from a ring group or overflowed from an acd group.

It works with a DID --> AA

It doesnt work with DID --> Group --> AA

The caller gets the message about there not being a subscriber with that mailbox etc...

If you dial the pilot number of the AA from a phone internally it works no problem it just seems to be if its overflowed from a group.

Do you folks have that working ok and if so can you tell me how?

Hi, Roger,

I am facing the same problem with Callxpress. hope you manage to get your problem solved

my setup is

Callxpress---->SIP----<SES>-----SIP---< Avaya CM>

imy voice mail are configerd with 6 digits, and my phones are 5 digits. for that iam adding prefix between (SES) and (Avaya CM)

But when calling from DID--->Group---->AA, the prfix is not added in the SIP header, but

if from DID----AA, it works fine.

Sunday, May 15, 2011 12:58 PM