none
DHCP Server Ceases to Renew or Lease Addresses After Automatic Backup RRS feed

• Question

• I have a completely clean, fully patched Windows 2012R2 server, with no anti-virus installed.  I ran into the following issue a year ago, and worked with Microsoft for several weeks before they blamed it on McAfee Anti-Virus (which is not the issue), and there is nothing helpful on the Internet so far.  Last year, I eventually created a new server and manually recreated all of the DHCP scopes, after which everything started working normally, until about the middle of May this year.  Nothing changed on the server, other than Windows security patching, but after it happened in May, I restored the entire server from a backup that occured well before the last patching cycle and got the same result.  I have many scopes, and did not want to spend hours recreating them again, so I deployed a new, clean fully patched server, installed DHCP, and restored the DHCP database as described here:  2012 DHCP Transaction log files build up and don't delete after backup

After a few days, I started getting errors again, and the server ceased leasing or renewing addresses again.  I don't know how syncronized the Windows Event Logs are with the DHCP logs, but I get these events in this sequence:

13:41:24 - Event 490 - Windows App Log

13:41:24 - Event 439 - Windows App Log

13:41:30 - Event 486 - Windows App Log

13:41:30 - Event 488 - Windows App Log

13:41:45 - Event 413 - Windows App Log

13:41:45 - Event 492 - Windows App Log

13:41:45 - Event 215 - Windows App Log

13:41:45 - Event 1016 - Windows System Log

13:41:45 - Event 1010 - Windows System Log

13:41:45 - Database Cleanup Begin - DhcpSrvLog

Following which, DHCP ceases to renew or lease any addresses, and DNS updates fail.  One hour and ten minutes later, DNS updates resume and catch up, but dhcp addresses still do not renew or lease until I stop and restart the DHCP Server Service, following which I get DhcpSrvLog entries showing "Stopped", "Started", and then "Authorized(servicing)".  This appears to be some kind of permissions issue with the log files, either causing or caused by the automatic Database Cleanup function, but I don't know for sure either way, nor do I know if this even has anything to do with the cause, and all this is just an effect of something beyond my knowledge.  That said, renewals and leases consitently cease following the automated dhcp Database Cleanup function.  The DHCP database may be partially corrupt, but there is not way to tell for sure, and there appears to be no viable way to repair or compact it considering the Jetpack utility, which apparently is supposed to perform this function, DOES NOT work in Windows 2012R2.  If someone has found a version that does work, I would be very interested in giving it a try.

The automatic backup and cleanup functions may or may not complete, and either way the DHCP logs do not get deleted after a backup/cleanup cycle due to apparent spontaneous permission issues as denoted in several of the Events listed above.  The logs just build up in the DHCP folder, along with numerous multiplying 0K logs that grow in number following each backup attempt - normally after a backup cycle, these logs will get deleted and there may be only a few in the folder at a time.

I have been looking for an answer to this issue for well over a year, and have found none.  Any insight would be appreciated.  Thanks.

Gary

Thursday, June 16, 2016 1:54 PM

All replies

• Hi Gary,

>>One hour and ten minutes later, DNS updates resume and catch up, but dhcp addresses still do not renew or lease until I stop and restart the DHCP Server Service, following which I get DhcpSrvLog entries showing "Stopped", "Started", and then "Authorized(servicing)". 

Could you post a network capture of the DHCP server, about run ''ipconfig /release and /renew '' on client when this issue occurred.And a detailed DhcpSrvLog.We need more information to analyze the issue.

Tuesday, June 21, 2016 7:49 AM