WMP plays AVI files softly RRS feed

• Question

• When I play the same AVI files in Media Player 10/12, the sound output is always (almost) twice softer than when played in PowerDVD.  In other words, the sound is louder when the same AVI files are played in PowerDVD.

Does anyone know why?

I can't imagine this has to do with drivers as I can see Media Player shares the same audio/sound drivers as PowerDVD.
    Tuesday, September 15, 2009 4:35 AM

Answers

• Hi,

I'm glad to hear that the sound become similar now after reinstall codecs.

PowerDVD will use its own codec which may be not the same as Windows Media Player. Reinstalling the codecs will apply it to both WMP and PowerDVD so WMP and PowerDVD should use the same codec now.

Meanwhile, for my previous suggestion, Windows Media Player should be started before checking the Adjust system volume setting so it will list in the box.

Anything unclear please just let us know.
    Wednesday, September 16, 2009 5:57 AM
  • I was reffering to the decoder sound scheme, while installing the codecs WMP detect but does not configure them (option config in DVD panel from more options) while when reinstalling took over the config from Power DVD which autodetects the system and configure itself during installation process.
    Reinstalling (probably after uninstallation process no registries were removed) applied the settings to WMP as well and Power DVD kept them from registries were not deleted.
    Regards

Are you refering to AC3 Filter config?  If so, I had configured this before.

Thanks for your explanation.

AC3 filter config comes along SPIDF option and all the rest but there is an option similar with the sound adapter card's presets regarding envir, that option in WMC (WMP being a dependency) and PowerDVD is like Theater Mode/Noisy Envir/ and another one that I'm a little bit on run to check now:),Noisy one boosts the sound, the others give a litle bit more clarity to the sound.
    Wednesday, September 16, 2009 10:00 AM

All replies

• Hi,

Please first check if the sound in Windows Media Player is set to max.

Then please go to Start --- Control Panel --- Hardware and Sound --- Adjust system volume. Windows Media Player should be listed. Please move it to max (or set it higher). This should help us make it louder.
    Tuesday, September 15, 2009 7:01 AM
  • Hi Shaon,

The sound in WMP is set to max.

WMP is not listed in the Control Panel navigation you suggested.  What am I missing?

I also checked in Win XP SP2 similarly, but cannot find WMP listed as well.

Can I also re-interate that the sound is soft when playing video files only ... audio files are fine.

Thanks.
    Tuesday, September 15, 2009 11:41 AM
  • Hi,
    You should check the sound scheme (depends what DVD decoder have installed on-I guess Cyberlink-speaking about PowerDVD) in WMP and set it to Boosted/Noisy Env, also don't use Auto volume leveling.Should get a similar sound. 
    Tuesday, September 15, 2009 7:55 PM
  • Not sure if you are referring to the Windows sound scheme, but I am using Windows Default.

I have uninstalled and reinstalled the AVI and All-In-One pack codecs, and both WMP and PowerDVD sound similar now.  Though, I can't understand why this should make a difference ...

Thanks.

Wednesday, September 16, 2009 4:05 AM
  • Hi,

PowerDVD will use its own codec which may be not the same as Windows Media Player. Reinstalling the codecs will apply it to both WMP and PowerDVD so WMP and PowerDVD should use the same codec now.

Meanwhile, for my previous suggestion, Windows Media Player should be started before checking the Adjust system volume setting so it will list in the box.

Wednesday, September 16, 2009 5:57 AM
  • Not sure if you are referring to the Windows sound scheme, but I am using Windows Default.

I have uninstalled and reinstalled the AVI and All-In-One pack codecs, and both WMP and PowerDVD sound similar now.  Though, I can't understand why this should make a difference ...

Thanks.

I was reffering to the decoder sound scheme, while installing the codecs WMP detect but does not configure them (option config in DVD panel from more options) while when reinstalling took over the config from Power DVD which autodetects the system and configure itself during installation process.
    Reinstalling (probably after uninstallation process no registries were removed) applied the settings to WMP as well and Power DVD kept them from registries were not deleted.
    Regards
    Wednesday, September 16, 2009 6:46 AM
  • Hi,

Yes, WMP showed up if it is running.  I also found right-clicking on the taskbar's Sound icon, then click "Open Volume Mixer" took me to the same window.  However, adjusting the volume in here appears to be the same as adjusting the volume bar in WMP itself - i.e., the adjustments are not independent but dependent.  So, this made no difference.

Anyway, I also found right-clicking the taskbar's Sound icon and selecting Sounds, there is a Playback tab.  If I select the Speakers then click Properties, there is an Enhancement tab with Bass Management, Virtual Surround, Room Correction, Loud Equalization check boxes.

Checking Bass Management appears to improve on sound clarity, and checking Loudness Eqaulization lowers the volume.  I need to play with these enhancement settings more ...
    Wednesday, September 16, 2009 7:37 AM
  • I was reffering to the decoder sound scheme, while installing the codecs WMP detect but does not configure them (option config in DVD panel from more options) while when reinstalling took over the config from Power DVD which autodetects the system and configure itself during installation process.
    Regards

Wednesday, September 16, 2009 9:36 AM
    Regards

AC3 filter config comes along SPIDF option and all the rest but there is an option similar with the sound adapter card's presets regarding envir, that option in WMC (WMP being a dependency) and PowerDVD is like Theater Mode/Noisy Envir/ and another one that I'm a little bit on run to check now:),Noisy one boosts the sound, the others give a litle bit more clarity to the sound.
    Wednesday, September 16, 2009 10:00 AM