none
Desktop Wallpaper Group Policy setting is not applied in Windows 8.1Pro from Server 2012 R2 Domain

Question

• I have setup a group policy in windows 2012 R2 for changing the desktop wallpaper in client (Windows 8.1). we change the wallpaper daily. when a user logs in the desktop will be shown a black background with various icons and no wallpaper set. I can find the path to the wallpaper from Windows 8.1 and view. I can recall a similar issue when Windows 7 was released and some hot fix available for it.

I can know is there any hot fix available for windows 8.1?   or any solution for this issue.

Saturday, July 4, 2015 2:16 PM

Answers

• Hi,

You could you the commands as:

del %USERPROFILE%\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Themes\TranscodedWallpaper

Create a txt file and put the above command in the file, save the file. And then change the file extension from .txt to .bat.

You can deploy that .bat file via group policy.

Also you can check the below article to know how to deploy a bat script via group policy:

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/magazine/dd630947.aspx

Best Regards,

Elaine

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Tuesday, July 7, 2015 3:32 AM

All replies

• Hi,

Thanks for your post. There is a different behavior on Windows 7 and Windows 8 on desktop wallpaper. In Windows 7, when we log into the system, the cached wallpaper file will re-generated  automatically.

However, since Windows 8, if the wallpaper path didn’t change, the cached wallpaper will not re-generate.

After deleted below file and log off/log on, you might see the desktop wallpaper automatically changed on Windows 8/8.1.

%USERPROFILE%\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Themes\TranscodedWallpaper

So I think you can apply this deletion operation to the domain controller as a log off or shut down script.

Please have a test and let’s know the result.

Best Regards,

Elaine

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Monday, July 6, 2015 6:44 AM
  • Hi Elaine,

Could you please provide the script for deletion of wallpaper when the user log off or shutdown. Please let me know the process where i need to do in group policy.

Monday, July 6, 2015 9:56 AM
  • Hi,

You could you the commands as:

del %USERPROFILE%\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Themes\TranscodedWallpaper

Create a txt file and put the above command in the file, save the file. And then change the file extension from .txt to .bat.

You can deploy that .bat file via group policy.

Also you can check the below article to know how to deploy a bat script via group policy:

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/magazine/dd630947.aspx

Best Regards,

Elaine

Tuesday, July 7, 2015 3:32 AM
  • Thank you Elaine. This works for me.
    Tuesday, July 7, 2015 3:05 PM