none
Creating Flag formulas for multiple critical paths RRS feed

• Question

• I'm hoping someone can help me.  I'm wanting to use flags to create my top 10 critical paths in MSP2010.  What forumla do I need to set into each flag in order for it to show me the first critical path, then second and so on?

Thanks

Sarah

Friday, March 7, 2014 1:25 PM

Answers

• Sarah,

I agree with Guillaume in that you need to define what you mean by first, second, etc. critical paths. However given some assumptions, this might work for you. Let's assume that total slack values less than 1 day are the first critical path, values between 1 day and less than 5 days are the second critical path, and total slack 5 days or greater is the third critical path. The following formulas could then go into the Flag1, Flag2, and Flag3 fields.

Flag1=IIf([Total Slack]/[Minutes Per Day]<1,True,False)

Flag2=IIIf([Total Slack]/[Minutes Per Day]>=1 And [Total Slack]/[Minutes Per Day]<5,True,False)

Flag3=IIf([Total Slack]/[Minutes Per Day]>=5,True,False)

You can extend this process to additional flag fields and set up Gantt Bar styles to correspond to the flags.

Hope this helps.

John

Friday, March 7, 2014 6:44 PM

All replies

• Hi Sarah,

I'm not sure to understand your concern. Are you talking about critical path among multiple projects or multiple critical path within a single project? Critical tasks are already identified from the "critical" out-of-the-box field. 

Refer to this MS article about critical path.

http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/project-help/see-what-s-driving-the-project-finish-date-critical-path-HP010354877.aspx

We'll pleased to give you more help if you give us more details.

Hope this helps.

Guillaume Rouyre - MBA, MCP, MCTS

Friday, March 7, 2014 2:07 PM
  • Sarah,

I agree with Guillaume in that you need to define what you mean by first, second, etc. critical paths. However given some assumptions, this might work for you. Let's assume that total slack values less than 1 day are the first critical path, values between 1 day and less than 5 days are the second critical path, and total slack 5 days or greater is the third critical path. The following formulas could then go into the Flag1, Flag2, and Flag3 fields.

Flag1=IIf([Total Slack]/[Minutes Per Day]<1,True,False)

Flag2=IIIf([Total Slack]/[Minutes Per Day]>=1 And [Total Slack]/[Minutes Per Day]<5,True,False)

Flag3=IIf([Total Slack]/[Minutes Per Day]>=5,True,False)

You can extend this process to additional flag fields and set up Gantt Bar styles to correspond to the flags.

Hope this helps.

John

Friday, March 7, 2014 6:44 PM