Windows 7 64 USB Malfunction when installing ANY USB Printer RRS feed

• Question

• I have a Dell Studio Laptop 1737 (2XG0LK1)

When I purchased it from Wal-mart it had Vista 64 and I upgraded to windows 7 & was very impressed because the only difficulties that I was experiencing was with the finger print scanner.  After some waiting a new 64 bit driver came out.  I moved into another house and carried my laptop with me of course and tried to load a brand new HP Laser Jet P1102w and it wouldn't work.  It would go through the install but when it came to plugging up the USB cord (THE software would act as if it wasn't plugged in.  When going through every step possible it appears that the Print Spool isn't working but in control panel it shows that "One USB on the computer is malfunctioning.  Every other USB device works fine.  In searching the forums on the Microsoft Website it recommended me to Uninstall all the USB devices and try again.  This didn't work either.  I went through the control panel Compatability check and no luck.  The other printer that use to work on my system, my Lexmark 4850, has the same problem now.  I then used my 7 disk, which has no scratches, and loaded windows overtop of the windows to try and repair the errors but was unsucessful again.  So I purchased a hard drive and transferred all of my files to it and preformed a COMPLETE reload and format from scratch.  I have been working on computers since graduation in 1993 and am at a point that I don't know what to do.  I have downloaded EVERYTHING from the DELL site, even all the ____ that runs in the back ground to slow your computer down, and still no sucess.  I am not sure why it doesn't work anymore but I would love to be able to print and use my computer again.  If you could assist in anyway, shape, or form then I would be greatly appreciative.  I am out of answers

Thursday, November 25, 2010 1:10 AM

Answers

• Hi Matt,

Usually, this issue is caused by the USB driver issue. Reinstall USB driver and update BIOS will quickly solve the problem.

If you have tried all tests above but still failed to use the printer, I suggest  running it in vista compatibility mode for test:

1.    Insert the installation media, right click on the DVD drive icon and choose Open

2.    In the open folder, right click the program setup.exe file and click the Properties option.

3.    Select the Compatibility tab.

4.    Select the Run This Program in Compatibility Mode option.

5.    From the drop-down list, choose the operating system you ran before upgrading to Vista.

6.    If necessary, select the option to run the program as an administration.

7.    Click OK.

Now, right click on Setup.exe and choose Run as administrator to install it again.

If the issue persists, you should better ask the PC manufacturer to check if the hardware have problem.

Hope it helps.

Regards,

Leo   Huang

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
    • Marked as answer by Leo Huang Friday, December 3, 2010 5:28 AM
    Tuesday, November 30, 2010 2:14 AM

All replies

• Hi,

According to your description, it seems the issue related with your USB port. You can try to login with  Clean Boot first to see if the same issue occurs.

Please unplug any unnecessary USB devices,  bypass USB Hub and remove USB filter driver:

Modify the Registry

====================

1. Click the Start Button, type "regedit" (without quotation marks) in the Start Search box and then press ENTER.

2. Navigate to the following key:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\{36FC9E60-C465-11CF-8056-444553540000}

3. Right click the {36FC9E60-C465-11CF-8056-444553540000}entry, choose "Export", select Desktop in the Save in box and type backup in File Name. Click Save.

Please Note: The backup file is on the Desktop and named backup.reg. We can simply restore the registry by double-clicking the backup.reg file.

4. Highlight this key {36FC9E60-C465-11CF-8056-444553540000}, on the right pane, and then check if Upperfilters and Lowerfilters value are present. If so, please right click on the values and select "Delete" to remove them.

5. Restart the computer

In addition, please disable any security problem and firewall temporarily.

Also you can update the BIOS and Chipset of your laptop, please download it on:

http://support.dell.com/support/downloads/driverslist.aspx?c=us&cs=19&l=en&s=dhs&catid=-1&dateid=-1&formatid=-1&hidlang=en&hidos=WV64&impid=-1&os=W764&osl=EN&scanConsent=False&scanSupported=True&servicetag=2XG0LK1&SystemID=studio1737&TabIndex=&typeid=-1

Furthermore, you can contact Dell to check if the hardware have problem.

This link maybe helpful to you:

How to fix USB Device Malfunctioned Error

http://social.answers.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/w7hardware/thread/b8a2fc66-5e58-48a3-9d3b-1db2858c3a9e

Please Note: Since the website is not hosted by Microsoft, the link may change without notice. Microsoft does not guarantee the accuracy of this information.

Hope it helps.

Regards,

Leo   Huang

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
    Friday, November 26, 2010 8:48 AM
  • Leo,

During the Thanksgiving Holidays I have tried EVERYTHING mentioned above. 
    What is the next step in the process to get someone from Windows perhaps to remote into my computer.  I am almost at the point that I might sell this laptop to someone else and take a $700 loss but I don't want anyone else to have that problem.  I am starting to think that I might need to change from Windows to Mac?.......Man ohh man.  It is hard to do paperwork for over 13 stores when I can't print anything.  If there is anymore help that can be provided?  I will be back about 7 PM?

Thanks for trying

Matt Sweeley
    Monday, November 29, 2010 12:07 PM
  • Hi Matt,

Usually, this issue is caused by the USB driver issue. Reinstall USB driver and update BIOS will quickly solve the problem.

If you have tried all tests above but still failed to use the printer, I suggest  running it in vista compatibility mode for test:

1.    Insert the installation media, right click on the DVD drive icon and choose Open

2.    In the open folder, right click the program setup.exe file and click the Properties option.

3.    Select the Compatibility tab.

4.    Select the Run This Program in Compatibility Mode option.

5.    From the drop-down list, choose the operating system you ran before upgrading to Vista.

6.    If necessary, select the option to run the program as an administration.

7.    Click OK.

Now, right click on Setup.exe and choose Run as administrator to install it again.

If the issue persists, you should better ask the PC manufacturer to check if the hardware have problem.

Hope it helps.

Regards,

Leo   Huang

• Marked as answer by Leo Huang Friday, December 3, 2010 5:28 AM
    Tuesday, November 30, 2010 2:14 AM