Blank page when printing from IE9 RRS feed

• Question

• the user gets a blank page when printing or viewing print preview in IE 9.  I found KB973479.  When I ran IE as an administrator the page printed correctly.  Where are the print permissions changed?  She can print from any app and she can print from Chrome.  Only IE9 prints a blank page.  

Specs

Win 7 Pro x64 running as a Virtual Desktop.  Her profile folders are redirected to a network share.  All updates have been applied.

Bret Snipes

Wednesday, June 5, 2013 7:51 PM

Answers

• When I ran IE as an administrator the page printed correctly.

One consequence of that and of using your other browser would be running with Protected Mode: Off.   In that case it may be sufficient just to put the problem site into the Trusted Sites zone.  However the Print Preview res://ieframe.dll/preview.dlg runs using the res:// protocol which apparently is in neither zone, so I'm not sure what that implies, as I suspect the File, Print command might use the same .dlg file's script resources (or a different res:// file).   ProcMon could help expose such facts.  If you have to put a res:// file in a different zone I think you may be out of luck, at least using the UI.  Perhaps there would be a reg hack to accomplish the same function?  This is actually the first time that that tack has occurred to me, so thanks for this.   ; )

HTH

Robert Aldwinckle
    ---

• Marked as answer by tracycai Wednesday, June 12, 2013 8:36 AM
    Friday, June 7, 2013 4:49 PM
    Answerer

All replies

• Hi,

You can also reset Internet Explorer for a test.

How to reset Internet Explorer settings

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/923737

Tracy Cai
    TechNet Community Support

Friday, June 7, 2013 7:17 AM
  • When I ran IE as an administrator the page printed correctly.

One consequence of that and of using your other browser would be running with Protected Mode: Off.   In that case it may be sufficient just to put the problem site into the Trusted Sites zone.  However the Print Preview res://ieframe.dll/preview.dlg runs using the res:// protocol which apparently is in neither zone, so I'm not sure what that implies, as I suspect the File, Print command might use the same .dlg file's script resources (or a different res:// file).   ProcMon could help expose such facts.  If you have to put a res:// file in a different zone I think you may be out of luck, at least using the UI.  Perhaps there would be a reg hack to accomplish the same function?  This is actually the first time that that tack has occurred to me, so thanks for this.   ; )

HTH

Robert Aldwinckle
    ---

• Marked as answer by tracycai Wednesday, June 12, 2013 8:36 AM
    Friday, June 7, 2013 4:49 PM
    Answerer