Migrate from Standard 2003 domain with seperate Exchange 2003 to SBS 2011 - possible? how-to? RRS feed

• Question

• Hi there,

I am currently planning on replacing two servers (one server 2003 standard (DC) and one server 2003 standard with exchange 2003) with a single machine running SBS 2011.

I already did several migrations SBS 2003 to SBS 2011, SBS 2008 to SBS 2011 - and I am wondering if the same can be done from 2003 Standard with separate exchange server 2003 to a single SBS 2011. Technically I can see no reason why this shouldn't work - but so far I have been unsuccessful in finding guidelines or at least some success-stories from other users.

Did anyone do something like that? Any caveats I have to be aware of? Or is it supposed to be flawless as the SBS to SBS migrations I did so far?

Wednesday, January 11, 2012 9:20 PM

Answers

• Personaly, I think that this is a piece of cake.  If you are not familiar with working with AD or Exchange, you might have more difficulity with this.  Using sbsmigration.com or a company like Third Tier (disclaimer, I work for TT) might help you out, so that you have someone to ask questions or guide you through the process. 

The OU's and other items you are asking about will be created.  You are going to have to add users into the proper security groups.

• Edited by Mapi_Jeremy Friday, January 20, 2012 5:36 AM
    • Marked as answer by James Xiong Monday, January 23, 2012 10:46 AM
    Friday, January 20, 2012 5:35 AM

All replies

• This is similar to a SBS2003 to SBS 2011 migration. The general steps would be:

1. Migrate the AD.

2. Migrate the Exchange mailboxes

3. Decommission the Exchange 2003 server

4. Optional: Decommission the old Server 2003 DC - since this is not SBS, there is no 21 day limit applied.

If you need further help, I would suggest contacting a thrid party like sbsmigration.com who will be able to provide you with a step by step guide on how to do this.

Regards, Boon Tee - PowerBiz Solutions, Australia - http://blog.powerbiz.net.au
    • Marked as answer by Frederik J Thursday, January 12, 2012 4:39 PM
    • Unmarked as answer by Frederik J Thursday, January 12, 2012 4:40 PM
    Thursday, January 12, 2012 12:44 AM
  • This should work.

Take a good backup and then follow the migration document.

Make sure to change ex 2003 from mixed to native mode manually and run following on server where it has ex 2003:

http://www.microsoft.com/download/en/details.aspx?id=11636

• Marked as answer by Frederik J Thursday, January 12, 2012 4:39 PM
    • Unmarked as answer by Frederik J Thursday, January 12, 2012 4:40 PM
    Thursday, January 12, 2012 11:27 AM
  • "Migrate the AD" - so basically this means manually Updating the AD using adprep, generating an sbs answer file and go ahead?

That's easy enough :)

Thank you :)

Thursday, January 12, 2012 4:42 PM
  • Thank you for the link to the ExPDA - that will surely come in handy.
    Thursday, January 12, 2012 4:42 PM
  • Migrate the AD, the steps for that would be to run the SBS migration tool on the 2003 domain controller and make sure that you install the SBS11 server in Migration mode. 
    Jeremy
    Thursday, January 12, 2012 4:50 PM
  • "Migrate the AD" - so basically this means manually Updating the AD using adprep, generating an sbs answer file and go ahead?

I presume you are following the Migraion documents here - http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/smallbusinessserver/thread/1aec51da-cf54-4a77-94bd-9d0354fec424
    Thursday, January 12, 2012 9:49 PM

I presume you are following the Migraion documents here - http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/smallbusinessserver/thread/1aec51da-cf54-4a77-94bd-9d0354fec424

I have already done several SBS to SBS 2011 migrations, but I am a bit unsure about the 2k3 Standard with separate Exchange 2k3...

I think it should work exactly the same as with SBS 2003 to SBS 2011 - leaving out the bit with the 21 day grace period and the forced retirement of the old server. Do I have to manually create the SBS organizational units in active directory or is that done by SBS 2011 setup during migration? What about the group policy objects? Are those being created automatically? Or am I forced to do that manually?

Exchange shouldn't be that much of a problem if one follows the ExPDA ... hopefully ;)

Thursday, January 12, 2012 11:14 PM
  • Hi,

From the problem description, I understand that you would like to migrate Exchange server 2003 on Windows Server 2003 to SBS 2011.

At first, I would like to clarify one thing. Microsoft doesn’t have the official documentation towards this scenario. And Microsoft doesn’t recommend dealing with that.

I noticed that there are two servers in your organization. One is Windows server 2003 for DC; the other one is Exchange server 2003. So it can’t be the same as the documentation (Migrate to Windows Small Business Server 2011 Standard from Windows Small Business Server 2003).

I got your key point that you would like to know the detailed procedures (HOW TO). I suggest that you could visit the SBSmigration.com to get further information you need. Since it’s not the Microsoft official method, please do the test before your put it into your production environment.

Regards,

James

James Xiong

TechNet Community Support

• Proposed as answer by James Xiong Tuesday, January 17, 2012 1:18 AM
    • Marked as answer by James Xiong Tuesday, January 17, 2012 1:19 AM
    • Unmarked as answer by Frederik J Thursday, January 19, 2012 8:24 PM
    Friday, January 13, 2012 6:38 AM
  • Hi,

Any Update?

James

James Xiong

TechNet Community Support

Tuesday, January 17, 2012 1:18 AM
  • I'd appreciate very much if someone had already done such a migration and were to tell me that it either "was a piece of cake" or "quite a huge amount of work not even worth trying".

Especially helpful would be a hint on whether the SBS-specific organizational units in AD had to be present before the migration or if they would automatically be created during the migration process. What other issues (apart from the adsiedit to be able to see the groups and users in sbs console) might I encounter?

I am well aware that Microsoft does not officially recommend doing such a migration (possibly afraid of too many support cases). In theory I think it will be possible and should not that much different from an SBS 2003 to SBS 2011 migration. Any other opinions or - better yet - experiences on this?

Thursday, January 19, 2012 8:24 PM
  • Personaly, I think that this is a piece of cake.  If you are not familiar with working with AD or Exchange, you might have more difficulity with this.  Using sbsmigration.com or a company like Third Tier (disclaimer, I work for TT) might help you out, so that you have someone to ask questions or guide you through the process. 

The OU's and other items you are asking about will be created.  You are going to have to add users into the proper security groups.

• Edited by Mapi_Jeremy Friday, January 20, 2012 5:36 AM
    • Marked as answer by James Xiong Monday, January 23, 2012 10:46 AM
    Friday, January 20, 2012 5:35 AM
  • Just to keep you all posted in case you are interested in a short "Server 2003 Standard with seperate Exchange 2003 to SBS 2011 migration" story:

I did a test migration in a virtual environment first to see whether unpredicted issues might come up. Promptly I forgot to switch Exchange 2003 to native mode, Ex 2010 did not install and had to restart... well, good it was only my test environment.

After that the migration went on just as if the source server were an SBS 2003. Of course I couldn't start the "migration wizard" on the target server but the setup correctly joined the domain, added the Exchange Routing Group Connector and all went smoothly as I worked through the migration documentation manually.

So I decided it was time I went ahead and do the migration in the real world.

Switched Exchange to native mode. Ran Exchange Predeployment Analyzer (no issues reported). Took a systemstate backup. Ran the migration tool on the source server. No errors at all. Created my SBSAnswerFile.xml (used the builtin Administrator account as I did in my test environment).

Installed SBS 2011 on my new server hardware using the answerfile. Opted in on "install updates". The install took quite a while but went with no visible error. FSMO roles got transferred and Exchange 2010 SP1 got installed just fine.

I was beginning to think "wow, THAT was easy!" until I tried the companyweb site (http://companyweb) and got an HTTP 500 error along with an event hiting towards a database error/access error (I don't recall the number now (5586?) as I am just writing this from my memory) in the application event log. The usual "psconfig" had of course been done. I then tried to fix SharePoint but to no avail: companyweb was and is still dead. I couldn't even open the administration console. As the customer does not ever want to use Sharepoint we decided to uninstall and live without it. If anyone is interested in the errors or even the error logs, I will post them here on request or via email.

I went on in the SBS2003 to 2011 migration document, added groups to the sbs console, applied user roles, replicated public folders, moved all replicas to the new server (which took quite a while, you really can sleep one or two nights over that), moved mailboxes etc (see Microsoft's SBS 2003 to SBS 2011 migration guide for details). I then removed the public folder database from the source server (after checking that no more replicas existed in there of course). There are no errors anywhere in the logs now. I checked the environment with the Exchange Best Practice Analyzer and doublechecked dcdiag / nltest. All perfectly fine.

Tomorrow I'm going to uninstall GFI Faxmaker (used to receive and send faxes), uninstall Exchange 2003, reinstall GFI (for Ex 2003 it creates a send connector which is not compatible with Ex 2010 thus the reinstall) and migrate the sql databases from the source server. As it is no SBS, it will stay as second domain controller.

So overall the migration IS a piece of cake - if you can live without SharePoint. Maybe I shouldn't have opted for updates during migration - but now it is too late for that anyway. The only side-effect I have seen so far is the SBS console crashing when I try to move the Sharepoint data to a different partition...

Wednesday, February 1, 2012 10:39 PM
  • Your Sharepoint broke, most likely due to the Admistrator account, or any of the Builtin\Accounts not being allowed to run as a batch job....
    Jeremy
    Wednesday, February 1, 2012 11:53 PM
  • As the companyweb does work in my test environment which has also been migrated using the built-in administrator, I assume it might have something to do with the "run as batch job" or "logon as service" priviledge not correctly defined in the default domain controllers policy. I manually added the required accounts (compared to a known good SBS 2011 installation replacing the domain name where necessary) to the policy and rebooted the server. Unfortunately at this point I might already have messed something else up by trying a reinstall of SharePoint and thus decided not to waste more time on a service that's never going to be used...

Thursday, February 2, 2012 11:20 AM
  • Thanks a kilo! I am planning to run this in a few weeks and your experience is very resourceful!

Hope all is stable now...

Tuesday, February 21, 2012 5:44 AM
  • Up until now there have been no issues or strange phenomena with the server - so it is stable. We kept the old DC as a secondary DC and the old Exchange as a "communication server" for fax and tapi services. The one and only thing not working is Sharepoint, but we decided to uninstall it anyway.
    Saturday, March 24, 2012 12:31 PM
  • "If you need further help, I would suggest contacting a thrid party like sbsmigration.com who will be able to provide you with a step by step guide on how to do this."

Did any one used sbsmigration.com ?

Please let us know.

thanks.

Thursday, February 13, 2014 4:00 AM