Reinstate Shortcut Key - Windows + F for Advanced Search RRS feed

• Question

• I have Vista and I am supposed to be able to bring up the Windows Explorer Advanced Search Box by pressing Windows (the flag key) + F. However, instead when I press those keys I get a small box labeled "Google" on the top Left and "Options" on the top right, and an entry form box. I presume this is some form of Google search. However I need to be able to access Windows Explorer Advanced Search box. How can I change my computer's settings so that Windows + F brings up Windows Explorer Advanced Search and not a Google search?

Thanks.
    Thursday, December 11, 2008 5:06 PM

Answers

• Hi

It sounds like you have installed something like Google desktop Search or other similar software that changes the default search components in Vista.

You will need to uninstall that software to get the default search back.

You may also be able to select your preferred search program in Control Panel.

Open Control Panel, click Classic View in the Tasks Pane.

Double click Default Programs.

Select Set Your Default Programs.

Select the Windows Search Explorer in that list.

Select Set this program as default.

Click OK.

Hope this helps.

If this post helps to resolve your issue, click the Mark as Answer button at the top of this message.

Ronnie Vernon
    Microsoft MVP
    Windows Desktop Experience
    Thursday, December 11, 2008 7:42 PM

All replies

• Hi

It sounds like you have installed something like Google desktop Search or other similar software that changes the default search components in Vista.

You will need to uninstall that software to get the default search back.

You may also be able to select your preferred search program in Control Panel.

Open Control Panel, click Classic View in the Tasks Pane.

Double click Default Programs.

Select Set Your Default Programs.

Select the Windows Search Explorer in that list.

Select Set this program as default.

Click OK.

Hope this helps.

If this post helps to resolve your issue, click the Mark as Answer button at the top of this message.

Ronnie Vernon
    Microsoft MVP
    Thursday, December 11, 2008 7:42 PM
  • Great.  The Control Panel Instructions worked perfectly.  Thanks so much, Ronnie.

Thursday, December 11, 2008 8:14 PM
  • Jim

Your very welcome, glad this helped. 

Ronnie Vernon
    Microsoft MVP

Thursday, December 11, 2008 10:30 PM
  • I think I have the same problem with WinXP.  I start Windows Explorer, push the Seach button and get the Google search in the left pane of Windows Explorer.  I went to Control Panel as you describe but I do not see Default Programs.  Help!
    Monday, October 5, 2009 2:47 AM