none
MDT Error Updating Deployment Share

Question

• Hi all,

I'm not overly familiar with MDT so bear with me on this one.

Despite my inexperience, I am implementing WDS and using PXE boot along with it.  I have followed multiple guides down to the letter, all of them have recommended installing MDT also, so this is what I have done.

I have followed this guide.

Sorry if posting external links is not allowed

However, I am always failing at the step to update the deployment shares.

I keep getting this error:

=== Making sure the deployment share has the latest x86 tools ===

=== Processing LiteTouchPE (x86) boot image ===

Building requested boot image profile.

System.Management.Automation.CmdletInvocationException: Unable to open the specified WIM file. ---> System.Exception: Unable to open the specified WIM file. ---> System.ComponentModel.Win32Exception: The system cannot find the path specified
       --- End of inner exception stack trace ---
       at Microsoft.BDD.Core.BDDWimFile..ctor(String wimPath, Boolean forUpdate)
       at Microsoft.BDD.PSSnapIn.UpdateDeploymentPoint.UpdateBootImage(String template, String platform, String dpPath, Boolean createISO, String isoName)
       at Microsoft.BDD.PSSnapIn.UpdateDeploymentPoint.ProcessRecord()
       at System.Management.Automation.CommandProcessor.ProcessRecord()
       --- End of inner exception stack trace ---
       at System.Management.Automation.Runspaces.PipelineBase.Invoke(IEnumerable input)
       at Microsoft.BDD.Wizards.UpdateProgress.WizardProcessing()
       at Microsoft.BDD.Wizards.WizardProgress.InitiateWizardProcessing()

Note: Windows ADK & MDT are installed on a separate partition to the C: drive.

I have followed this guide twice, the first time I installed everything to the C: drive but this did not work, then I installed them separately to the F: drive hoping this would work, but to no avail.

I'd be grateful if someone could give me some advice as to why this is happening?

I can browse to the Local Path and the UNC path (from other domain machines)

Regards,
    Reece

Thursday, December 6, 2018 12:42 AM

All replies

• I've figured this out, eventually.

For anyone else who faces this issue: Make sure that the Windows Preinstallation Environment is installed.

In my case I downloaded the ADK for Windows 1809, unaware that Microsoft have changed the way the WinPE works with ADK.

From version 1809 onwards, WinPE is not included in the ADK and must be downlaoded separately from here: https://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=2022233

Thursday, December 6, 2018 4:20 PM