Windows 7 locking up RRS feed

• Question

• I've seen a few topics on this, but my system isn't locking up that quickly.  According to my logs, it locked up just a few minutes ago, as well as about an hour and a half ago, and 7:52PM yesterday.  I'm not an IT person, so I don't know how to translate what the system logs are trying to tell me, but the "source" of the log is always "Kernel-Power" and the general information reads: "The system has rebooted without cleanly shutting down first. This error could be caused if the system stopped responding, crashed, or lost power unexpectedly."  The Event ID is 41; I'm not sure if that helps.

Coincidentally, I get a series of warnings after the system starts up again telling me there is something wrong with one of my hard drives: "An error was detected on device \Device\Harddisk4\DR4 during a paging operation.".  Can someone please let me know how to find out what drive that is specifically, so I can remove it from my system?

My system specs are as follows:

Windows 7 Ultimate RC (Build 7700)
    Intel Desktop Board (either a DG33BU or DG33FB; I can't find the model number on the board itself, but those numbers are written on the driver CD)
    Intel Q6600 quad core CPU
    4 GB DDR2 667 RAM
    Four hard drives of varying brands (1TB WD, 2x 500GB (one Hitachi, one Seagate) and a 300GB Seagate)
    EGA GeForce 8800 GTS 320MB
    On-board sound

I thought the sound card was causing the problem, so I removed it and everything was fine for a while, then it started doing this again.  It only happens when I'm gaming, so I'm thinking it's just my video card going south.

If anyone can help me, I'd appreciate it.

Thanks!
    Zen
    Wednesday, September 9, 2009 1:47 AM

Answers

•  

Hello Zen,

First, I would like to confirm whether there was a blue screen when the system locked up.

This kind of issue usually can be caused by kernel portion components, such as a hardware device, third-party drivers, backup software or anti-virus services (buggy services).

Please use following methods to troubleshoot the issue.

1. Boot the computer in Clean Boot for a test.

2. Temporarily disable all unnecessary hardware devices in Device Manager, such as Modem, sound card or external device.

For detail steps, we can refer to the link below:

Device Clean Boot

3. Run Disk Defragmenter and Check Disk.

a. Click the Start Button, click Computer.
    b. Right-click on the hard drive you would like to defrag and choose Properties.
    c. Switch to the Tools tab and click on the "Defragment Now" button. Click Continue if necessary.
    d. Click on Defragment Now.

Note: Please understand that it may take some time to complete the disk defragment. Please wait until the action finishes.

e. Click the Disk Defragmenter window.

f. In the Tools tab, please click "Check Now" and select all the options in the popped up window, and then click Start button.

If the issue persists, please upload the minidump file (%systemroot%\minidump) to SkyDrive ( www.skydrive.live.com ), then share the link to me. I will be glad to assist you to analysis the data.

Thanks,

Novak

• Marked as answer by Novak Wu Monday, September 14, 2009 1:03 AM
    Friday, September 11, 2009 8:32 AM

All replies

• Hi zenryoku42,

The events you mention (ID 41) are likely related to the ungraceful nature of the shutdown, and not the problem.  However, the other items ("An error was detected on device...") is something to be concerned about as it may indicate a failing drive.  Please run chkdsk /r on all of your drives.

In Disk Management, what disk is listed as Disk 4?
    Wednesday, September 9, 2009 11:18 AM
  •  

Hello Zen,

First, I would like to confirm whether there was a blue screen when the system locked up.

This kind of issue usually can be caused by kernel portion components, such as a hardware device, third-party drivers, backup software or anti-virus services (buggy services).

Please use following methods to troubleshoot the issue.

1. Boot the computer in Clean Boot for a test.

2. Temporarily disable all unnecessary hardware devices in Device Manager, such as Modem, sound card or external device.

For detail steps, we can refer to the link below:

Device Clean Boot

3. Run Disk Defragmenter and Check Disk.

a. Click the Start Button, click Computer.
    b. Right-click on the hard drive you would like to defrag and choose Properties.
    c. Switch to the Tools tab and click on the "Defragment Now" button. Click Continue if necessary.
    d. Click on Defragment Now.

Note: Please understand that it may take some time to complete the disk defragment. Please wait until the action finishes.

e. Click the Disk Defragmenter window.

f. In the Tools tab, please click "Check Now" and select all the options in the popped up window, and then click Start button.

If the issue persists, please upload the minidump file (%systemroot%\minidump) to SkyDrive ( www.skydrive.live.com ), then share the link to me. I will be glad to assist you to analysis the data.

Thanks,

Novak

• Marked as answer by Novak Wu Monday, September 14, 2009 1:03 AM
    Friday, September 11, 2009 8:32 AM
  • Thanks.  It was also advised that I run the games that seem to be causing the problem under administrator mode and with Windows XP compatibility on.  This seems to have helped as well.  But I've done what you suggested and will let you know if the problem happens again.

Thanks!
    Zen
    Monday, September 14, 2009 3:44 AM
  • Have you had an opportunity to run chkdsk /r on your drives? If so, what was the outcome (check the event logs for events with a source of Wininit for the chkdsk output)?
    Monday, September 14, 2009 10:18 AM