Central Administration RRS feed

• Question

• We have two forest infrastructure in transition to just one forest.

To support both forest we installed a CAS and since we have many locations around the world (±500) we decide to have 4 Primary sites.

It is still valid for SCCM current branch 1702 that  "The Central Administration Site (CAS) is the recommended location for all administration and reporting for a Configuration Manager hierarchy"?

Our consultant is asking us to do the administration from the primary sites and not from the CAS, which does not make sense to me. The consultant states that CAS should only be used as a central repository of information captured by primary sites.

Although, for me it's very clear and basic this point our consultant insists on it and as we have problems with the distribution of updates from the DP the consultant attributes the bad administration as the main cause.

Your comments will be greatly appreciated

Monday, November 13, 2017 7:57 PM

Answers

• Hi,

Personally, I would insist on "The Central Administration Site (CAS) is the recommended location for all administration and reporting for a Configuration Manager hierarchy". Because, for some data, CAS is the only place you can find, for example collection membership (each Primary Site maintain their own collection memberships, however, CAS have all collection memberships). It's Site data in below link:

https://cloudblogs.microsoft.com/hybridcloud/2012/03/06/data-replication-in-system-center-2012-configuration-manager/

So I always recommand to use console connected to CAS for administring.

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

• Edited by Frank Dong Tuesday, November 14, 2017 2:34 AM
    • Marked as answer by ohesed Tuesday, November 14, 2017 3:22 AM
    Tuesday, November 14, 2017 2:32 AM

All replies

• Hi,

Personally, I would insist on "The Central Administration Site (CAS) is the recommended location for all administration and reporting for a Configuration Manager hierarchy". Because, for some data, CAS is the only place you can find, for example collection membership (each Primary Site maintain their own collection memberships, however, CAS have all collection memberships). It's Site data in below link:

https://cloudblogs.microsoft.com/hybridcloud/2012/03/06/data-replication-in-system-center-2012-configuration-manager/

So I always recommand to use console connected to CAS for administring.

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

• Edited by Frank Dong Tuesday, November 14, 2017 2:34 AM
    • Marked as answer by ohesed Tuesday, November 14, 2017 3:22 AM
    Tuesday, November 14, 2017 2:32 AM
  • Thank you for your advice
    Tuesday, November 14, 2017 12:27 PM
  • Shouldn't the first question really be do you even need a CAS? How many clients do you support?

John Marcum | Microsoft MVP - Enterprise Client Management

Wednesday, November 15, 2017 3:11 PM
  • Hi John,

I understand that SCCM can not support two different forest with one primary site. Right?

Since we have to forest we need a CAS.  Furthermore, our 500 offices are spread around all the continents and I understand its a good practice to have a primary site by continent.  

Best regards

Friday, November 17, 2017 1:05 AM
  • I understand that SCCM can not support two different forest with one primary site. Right?

No. Wrong. A CAS is only needed for scale out purposes (if you want to manage more than 150.000 Clients that a single standalone Primary can handle). Period. Multiple Domains / forests can also be handled by a standalone Primary.

Torsten Meringer | http://www.mssccmfaq.de

Friday, November 17, 2017 7:18 AM