none
DPM 2010 - Redirecting SQL Log files to a new drive location RRS feed

• Question

• Hi there,

We are currently using DPM 2010, and recently I'm having a problem where one of our DPM protected servers. One of the drive's on the server is filling up constantly due to SQL log files (28 Gigs). I have a few questions relating to this issue:

1. Why are these log files being created?

2. Are they supposed to be this big (28 gig) ?

3. Can the sql log files be redirected to another location (another drive), due to drive having low disk space because of the large logs files..

Can you please contact me back as soon as possible...

Thanks,

Kinshuk

• Moved by Chris Butcher - MSFTMicrosoft employee, Moderator Friday, August 13, 2010 6:48 PM This is more related to general DPM functionality and not specific to System State/BMR. (From:DPM System State and BMR Protection)
    • Moved by Parag Agrawal Tuesday, August 17, 2010 12:51 PM DPM SQL backup related Q (From:Data Protection Manager)
    Wednesday, August 11, 2010 1:59 PM

Answers

• It sounds to me like you are talking about the transaction logs on a SQL server you are protecting.  If these are not truncating, then we should look into DPM not truncating them properly.  It should be truncating them when a full backup is taken.

I would watch a backup on that database and see if the logs are truncated afterwords.  If not, then check to see if the database is in full or simple recovery mode.  If it is simple recovery mode, then I believe the problem is likely with SQL as those should not be kept as SQL will truncate them every time a checkpoint is reached.

Thanks, Chris Bu - MSFT This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights
    Tuesday, November 23, 2010 3:06 PM

All replies

• Hi,

for starters, Yes you can place SQL files on the protected server where you like but is not a DPM item, this is SQL management. At DPM side all data is part of the replica and cannot put individual files or directories elsewhere.

I'm not sure what logs you mean, the SQL transaction logfile or the text logs?
    Transaction log is typically ~10% of db size but can vary strongly, text logs that large is indeed strange. Possibly some debug/verbose logging option enabled at some point and forgot to disable?

Anyway, if this happens at production server I could imagine you run out of recovery point volume space.
    Do the backup's succeed which should result in truncating the transaction log (for ful recovery model db's).

\R2 This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights
    Sunday, November 14, 2010 1:29 PM
  • It sounds to me like you are talking about the transaction logs on a SQL server you are protecting.  If these are not truncating, then we should look into DPM not truncating them properly.  It should be truncating them when a full backup is taken.

I would watch a backup on that database and see if the logs are truncated afterwords.  If not, then check to see if the database is in full or simple recovery mode.  If it is simple recovery mode, then I believe the problem is likely with SQL as those should not be kept as SQL will truncate them every time a checkpoint is reached.

Thanks, Chris Bu - MSFT This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights
    Tuesday, November 23, 2010 3:06 PM
  • Kinshuk

Since this has been open for a while wtih no responce, I am going to mark it as answered.  If you do have any remaining questions or concerns, please repost to the thread to reopen it so it can be analyzed again.  Please also be sure to answer any of the outstanding questions that are posted.

Wednesday, November 24, 2010 4:56 PM