WSUS Console - "Subscribed Updates" behaviour RRS feed

• Question

• How does the "subscribed updates" set for the WSUS server influence the behaviour of other functions in WSUS and on the console?

When I say "subscribed updates" I mean the products and classifications set in the WSUS options section for the WSUS server.

For example:

• Do the auto-approval rules respect the subscription or do they operate on all updates?
    • Is it possible to set a view to scope to whatever the current subscription is?  At the moment, I have to manually align these which is a pain in the butt.

Thanks!

Saturday, April 18, 2020 5:29 AM

Answers

• Hi Tony,

In my opinion, you can import updates to WSUS and be managed by WSUS in the following two ways:

• Automation, by selecting "Product" and "Classifications", the corresponding update metadata can be obtained after the synchronization action.
    • Non-automation, by import update metadata manually through the Microsoft Update Catalog.

The following discussion is based on the automated synchronization of selecting "Product" and "Classifications".
    For your questions:

• Do the auto-approval rules respect the subscription or do they operate on all updates?

When we customize automatic approval rules, we can select specific "products" to limit the scope of updates that will be automatically approved. When the update exists in the product selected by WSUS and is synchronized, the update will be automatically approved; when the update does not exist in the product selected by WSUS, then this rule will not approve any update.

• Is it possible to set a view to scope to whatever the current subscription is?  At the moment, I have to manually align these which is a pain in the butt.

If your requirement is to establish an update metadata list for filtering specific "products" or "classifications", you may consider selecting "Create a new update view" in the WSUS update view.

Hope the above can help you.

Regards,
    Yic

Please remember to mark as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

• Marked as answer by Tony D Gedge Tuesday, April 21, 2020 12:58 AM
    Monday, April 20, 2020 1:44 AM

All replies

• Hi Tony,

In my opinion, you can import updates to WSUS and be managed by WSUS in the following two ways:

• Automation, by selecting "Product" and "Classifications", the corresponding update metadata can be obtained after the synchronization action.
    • Non-automation, by import update metadata manually through the Microsoft Update Catalog.

The following discussion is based on the automated synchronization of selecting "Product" and "Classifications".
    For your questions:

When we customize automatic approval rules, we can select specific "products" to limit the scope of updates that will be automatically approved. When the update exists in the product selected by WSUS and is synchronized, the update will be automatically approved; when the update does not exist in the product selected by WSUS, then this rule will not approve any update.

If your requirement is to establish an update metadata list for filtering specific "products" or "classifications", you may consider selecting "Create a new update view" in the WSUS update view.

Hope the above can help you.

Regards,
    Yic

If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

• Marked as answer by Tony D Gedge Tuesday, April 21, 2020 12:58 AM
    Monday, April 20, 2020 1:44 AM
  • Thanks, it's a bit of a shame that the views can't automatically scope to the WSUS server subscription.
    Tuesday, April 21, 2020 12:59 AM
  • Hi Tony,

In the current WSUS, part of the operation may still need to cooperate with the operation of the management personnel, so for the time being, I did not think of the method you proposed to directly filter out the specific updated view of the subscribed products. If I find anything, I will share it with you.

Thank you for your reply and I wish you all the best.

Regards,
    Yic

Wednesday, April 22, 2020 3:01 AM