none
Allocated Memory Alert on RRS feed

• Question

• Allocated Memory Alert on <server name> ..... I only received this after uninstalling WSUS..... looked at THE OFFICIAL BLOG OF THE SBS "DIVA" blog and many others but not the same problem... all processes appear to be ok and event view is useless in this instance as it provides not information about the problem the machine is a Dell Power Edge T300 with 2Gb Ram running SBS 2003 with latest updates and a bucket load of HDD space. I would appreciate any constructive thoughts.
    Thursday, July 15, 2010 1:06 PM

Answers

• all that seems fine. again, to eliminate the alerts, you need to adjust the thresholds for the alerts. Instructions for doing this is here:

http://blogs.technet.com/sbs/archive/2006/06/07/433707.aspx

-Kevin Weilbacher (SBS MVP)
    "The days pass by so quickly now, the nights are seldom long"
    KW Support MVP Blog
    MVP's do NOT work for Microsoft. We give our time freely to support the SBS community!
    Friday, July 16, 2010 1:49 AM
  • Hi All

Thank you all for your support and advice it is greatly appreciated. I have not tried the new memory yet as my further probing into other problems may have identified the cause.

Lack of strict policies appears to be the issue - Staff have installed ITUNES in turn blocking the server by filling their documents folder in their profile. When this tries to sync with a pc with less disk space it appears to be causing the performance problem.

I will be making changes and removing all non business related software and download from the PCs and server this weekend. I will post my outome as, I hope a final comment for others.

Thank you again for the advice.

Darren

Again thank you all for the great help, after a week or more of changes to policy and removal of ITUNES and freeing disk space all appears to be fine. A complete review of policy is in order to restrict this from happening again.

Regards

Darren

• Marked as answer by dazza2502 Tuesday, August 3, 2010 6:06 AM
    • Edited by dazza2502 Tuesday, August 3, 2010 6:08 AM Fixed
    Thursday, July 22, 2010 10:03 PM

All replies

• Have you added RAM?

One or two alerts per day, or tons?

You can adjust the threshold in Server Managment

It may settle down after a few days

What processes are showing as using the most RAM?

-Larry

-Please post the resolution to your issue  so others may benefit.

-Get Your SBS Health Check at www.sbsbpa.com

Allocated Memory Alert on <server name> ..... I only received this
    after uninstalling WSUS..... looked at THE OFFICIAL BLOG OF THE SBS
    "DIVA" </blogs/bradley/default.aspx> blog and many others but not the
    same problem... all processes appear to be ok and event view is
    useless in this instance as it provides not information about the
    problem the machine is a Dell Power Edge T300 with 2Gb Ram running SBS
    2003 with latest updates and a bucket load of HDD space. I would
    appreciate any constructive thoughts.

Larry Struckmeyer
    Thursday, July 15, 2010 1:12 PM
  • Performance reports and Task Manager would indicate which services are using the most RAM.

What was the reason for uninstalling WSUS?

KW Support MVP Blog
    MVP's do NOT work for Microsoft. We give our time freely to support the SBS community!
    Thursday, July 15, 2010 1:14 PM
  • Although the "adding RAM" part of this doesn't apply, this post from the SBS support team will let you check your alert settings to make sure they're configured appropriately:

Allocated Memory Errors After Adding RAM http://blogs.technet.com/b/sbs/archive/2006/06/07/433707.aspx

Thursday, July 15, 2010 8:09 PM
  • Hi, No change has been made to memory, the only change was the uninstall of WSUS and the reason for removing WSUS was due to my lack of knowledge in the application, time to learn it and individual PC's not getting critical updates.

Unfortuniately I am not in a position to dedicate all my time to IT and it is difficult to keep up with this ever rapidly changing environment on a limited budget.

I have followed all the instructions for testing the memory usage and have the following:

Store.exe 580,496 k

SQLServr.exe 319,112 k

SMSUtilityService.exe 209,932 k  then usage drops down to 68,000k and lower for other applications.

I receive emails about 4 to 5 times a day.

I will download the suggested program and get back with the results.

I appreciate all the advice and assistance and thank you in advance.

Darren

Thursday, July 15, 2010 11:56 PM
  • all that seems fine. again, to eliminate the alerts, you need to adjust the thresholds for the alerts. Instructions for doing this is here:

http://blogs.technet.com/sbs/archive/2006/06/07/433707.aspx

KW Support MVP Blog
    Friday, July 16, 2010 1:49 AM
  • Hi Kevin, the thresholds are already set to the levels indicated in the Blog but still have the problem and reports.

Not sure, but would it help if I increased RAM to 4Gb then changed the threshold or maybe reinstalling WSUS?

Performance of the system is spasmotic and drops in and out.

Darren

Friday, July 16, 2010 2:34 AM
  • Certainly, if you could add more memory it will help overall performance. I ramped up all of my SBS 2003 servers to 4gb several years ago, and using 8GB minimum for SBS 2008.

Then let us know what the extra memory does for those memory alerts. Cheers!

KW Support MVP Blog
    Friday, July 16, 2010 4:50 PM
  • Hi All

Thank you all for your support and advice it is greatly appreciated. I have not tried the new memory yet as my further probing into other problems may have identified the cause.

Lack of strict policies appears to be the issue - Staff have installed ITUNES in turn blocking the server by filling their documents folder in their profile. When this tries to sync with a pc with less disk space it appears to be causing the performance problem.

I will be making changes and removing all non business related software and download from the PCs and server this weekend. I will post my outome as, I hope a final comment for others.

Thank you again for the advice.

Darren

Again thank you all for the great help, after a week or more of changes to policy and removal of ITUNES and freeing disk space all appears to be fine. A complete review of policy is in order to restrict this from happening again.

Regards

Darren

• Marked as answer by dazza2502 Tuesday, August 3, 2010 6:06 AM
    • Edited by dazza2502 Tuesday, August 3, 2010 6:08 AM Fixed
    Thursday, July 22, 2010 10:03 PM