Email Address Policy will not apply to certain users RRS feed

• Question

• Hi All

We recently migrated our mailboxes to a 2007 box and created an Email Address Policy to change the default address for certain users. The policy  applies perfectly to any new mailboxes for this particular team but will not apply to users who were migrated to the 2007 box. I've upgraded the default policy and reapplied the email address policy but no joy. Any advice or help would be really appreciated.

Thanks

Mark

Friday, October 7, 2011 3:50 PM

All replies

• I don't think I've ever encountered a situation where I've wanted e-mail address policy applied to a migrated mailbox, so your question is a surprise to me!  Ensure that the "Automatically apply e-mail address policy..." checkbox is applied (Set-Mailbox EmailAddressPolicyEnabled property is $True).  We generally set this property to $False for all users so that the policy doesn't screw up their e-mail addresses.

Ed Crowley MVP "There are seldom good technological solutions to behavioral problems."
    Friday, October 7, 2011 4:20 PM
  • so if the users are migrated, assumed to use the same email alias then why do you need to apply it?
    Saturday, October 8, 2011 4:21 AM
  • Hi,

1. Check if the email address policy apply to all the mailbox:

EMC->Organization Configuration -> Hub Transport -> E-mail Address Policies -> Default Policy -> Edit -> Preview

2. If you have more than one email address policy make sure that the priority of policy is the highest one.

3.Run the command below to enable auto-update

Get-Mailbox –Server SRV1 | Set-Mailbox –EmailAddressPolicyEnabled:$true

4. Run Update-EmailAddressPolicy -Identity "Default policy"

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
    • Edited by Jason LJS Monday, October 10, 2011 8:45 AM
    Monday, October 10, 2011 8:42 AM
  • Hi All,

Thanks for all your responses. Basically we have a new company setup and therefore I have created a policy that should change the users default email address if they work for this company. Hope that makes sense? 

When I 'preview' the email address policy, I see all the users listed there that currently work for this company but the policy is only applying to users whose mailboxes were created on our new mail server not mailboxes that were moved over from our old 2003 box.

I'm perplexed

Thanks

Mark

Wednesday, October 12, 2011 2:13 PM