Best Way to Get the Mouse Scroll Wheel to Scroll Whatever Window the Mouse is Over? RRS feed

• Question

• It seems that the mouse wheel never scrolls the proper window...  You have to have clicked in it for the scroll operations to apply.  And you generally DON'T click in a window until you see what it is you want to click on.  If you're scrolling, it's probably because the thing you want to click on is scrolled off the client area...

Does anyone have a tweak (or possibly 3rd party software) that will make the mouse wheel scroll whatever window the mouse happens to be over?  That would be SO much more convenient.

Thanks.

-Noel

Tuesday, February 9, 2010 3:38 AM

Answers

All replies

• I've found this tool that sounds like it should do the trick: 

WizMouse
    http://antibody-software.com/web/software/software/wizmouse-makes-your-mouse-wheel-work-on-the-window-under-the-mouse/

Anyone have any experience with this?  I'm going to test it in a virtual machine and see if there are any notable downsides to using it.  It seems to pass malware/virus checks.

-Noel
    • Marked as answer by Noel Carboni Tuesday, February 9, 2010 3:08 PM
    Tuesday, February 9, 2010 4:02 AM
  • WizMouse is looking good!  Works just as I want it to:  Whatever window the mouse is over is the one that's scrolled.

I added a Firewall rule to block any attempt by WizMouse to contact the outside world, and so far it hasn't run afoul of that rule.  Still, since I've never seen it before and don't know the company that made it, better safe than sorry.

Microsoft:  You need to build this functionality into Windows as an option.  This makes the scroll wheel 1000% better.

-Noel
    • Proposed as answer by ALXT Thursday, March 11, 2010 6:54 PM
    Tuesday, February 9, 2010 4:19 AM