none
Automatically update successor task RRS feed

• Question

• I use MS Project 2013.

Is there a way to automatically change the % complete of a successor task to 50% when the predecessor task reaches 100%?

Thursday, March 9, 2017 9:36 AM

All replies

• Hi,

this can only be done by a macro like the following:

Sub Successor()
    Dim T As Task
    Dim ST As Task

For Each T In ActiveProject.Tasks
        If Not T Is Nothing Then
            For Each ST In T.SuccessorTasks
                If T.PercentComplete = 100 And Not ST.Summary Then
                    ST.PercentComplete = 50
                End If
            Next ST
        End If
    Next T
    End Sub

Regards
    Barbara

Ps: Why do you want to do so? I am just curious about the idea for this request?

To increase the value of this forum, please mark the replies that helped to solve your issue as answer. If you find answers to questions from other forum participants to be helpful, please mark them as helpful. Your participation will help others to find an appropriate solution faster. Thanks for your support!

Thursday, March 9, 2017 11:32 AM
  • Thanks for the reply, Barbara. I'll explain why we need it.

We do a 'release to live', which involves about 600 small tasks, some of which take as little as half an hour. Our project plan therefore shows "time" as many tasks take place within a single day. So far, so good.

We run Project Server 2013 as well as Project Professional 2013 and we have emails enabled. That means that as soon as a task is updated, the resource assigned to the task automatically gets an email. The only problem is that the PM has to update the next task as soon as the previous one is finished. If we could automate it, then the process would work as follows:

Task 1 - resource updates % complete to 100 % when it is finished.

Task 2 - automatically updated to 50% to show that it must now be done, and the resource gets an email

Task 2 - resource updates it to 100 % and the next task is triggered.

Naturally all this is done via Project Server, which means that only the PM needs to have a copy of MS Project.

How does this sound?

Thursday, March 9, 2017 2:26 PM
  • Hi,

I have no idea without using Project Client. In client PM could also use Project - Update project - Reschedule uncompleted work after.

Seems, that you are only using "%Complete" to update progress? If the resource also updates finish date, approval und publish of status update will reschedule successor task accordingly - and an e-mail ist sent. As long as there is a change. Another option ist to change alerst to modify notification settings to send an email "Send me a reminder before my tasks start."

Regards
    Barbara

To increase the value of this forum, please mark the replies that helped to solve your issue as answer. If you find answers to questions from other forum participants to be helpful, please mark them as helpful. Your participation will help others to find an appropriate solution faster. Thanks for your support!

Thursday, March 9, 2017 3:12 PM
  • I thought of using the Project - Update project - Reschedule uncompleted work after option, but I only want the very next task to be updated and a general update would probably change more than one. Also, if the tasks run behind schedule, we could also run the risk of updating future tasks.

I like your second suggestion and think that it may be worth considering. To paraphrase it, I think you are saying that any change to the start date and time will prompt an email. When the previous task is finished, the resource should update both % complete as well as something to shift the end date and time. An email will then be sent.

Of course the risk with that is that all successive tasks will also have their start date and times changed so that they may also get emails.

I'll experiment a bit as it looks like an idea that may work.

Thursday, March 9, 2017 5:21 PM