none
How do I display application per server? RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,
    When running a Windows 2008 server assesment, simply to inventory systems, I get a summary of the installed applications. I know that in the database the information is collected on a per server basis (but it is matched with a UID instead of the server name). My question is how can I display the applications installed on a per server basis or simply put, could anyone provide the required SQL query to perform this?
    Thanks in advance
    Eran
    Monday, May 18, 2009 2:50 PM

Answers

• Yes, there's a lot of data there that's not in the reports.

relies on Win32_Product WMI class, which depends on the Windows Installer Provider for WMI being installed on the target machine.  For x64 machines and server machines, this component isn’t installed by default: http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa392726(VS.85).aspx#windows_installer_provider

In version 4.0 of MAP, we’ve rewritten that part of inventory to bypass Win32_Product and interrogate the registry directly to get this data.  So if an application (such as Oracle, for instance) registers itself in the MSI database, then it should show up in a MAP 4.0 report regardless of whether the Windows Installer provider is on the target or not. 

Thursday, May 21, 2009 3:44 PM

All replies

• Well, I took a deeper look into the SQL db of maps and found a few things.
    First, I foudna pretty easy way to perform the SQL query using simply Access 2007.  if anyone wants details I will provide them.
    Second, I found that the DB contains much more info than is displayed in the reports. For instance, the SQL assesment is performed any way and the info is in the DB. the assesment is only used to display the info in a comfortable way in an excell sheet but the info itself is there even if you simply run the inventory.
    So wjat I have to say is simply look deeper in the db. it is very surprising.
    enjoy
    Eran
    Thursday, May 21, 2009 9:11 AM
  • Yes, there's a lot of data there that's not in the reports.

relies on Win32_Product WMI class, which depends on the Windows Installer Provider for WMI being installed on the target machine.  For x64 machines and server machines, this component isn’t installed by default: http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa392726(VS.85).aspx#windows_installer_provider

In version 4.0 of MAP, we’ve rewritten that part of inventory to bypass Win32_Product and interrogate the registry directly to get this data.  So if an application (such as Oracle, for instance) registers itself in the MSI database, then it should show up in a MAP 4.0 report regardless of whether the Windows Installer provider is on the target or not. 

Thursday, May 21, 2009 3:44 PM
  • Hi Jay,
    When will version 4.0 will be released?
    thanks
    Wednesday, June 3, 2009 1:09 PM
  • Beta should be avaialble mid-June.  You'll see announcements here....

Wednesday, June 3, 2009 2:53 PM
  • Eran, I could use some help with this one, can you send me the SQL tables or query you used? I would like to get a report that shows by server which applications are installed in each device. Can you help me out???
    Thursday, December 9, 2010 3:06 PM