error message a disk read error occured press Ctrl + Alt +Del to restart RRS feed

• Question

• I there it looks like alot of people are having this problem with this error message and I have been reading, however when I go into Bios and go to boot I see

IDE CD ROM DRIVE is First
    Diskette Drive (A:) Second
    And Hard Drive (C:) is Third

However i am not sure on how to add my hard drive to First
    I am a little confused as this is my first time that I have encountered this issue.
    Its a new hard drive PATA DESKTOP WESTURN DIGITAL CAVIAR BLUE 500 GB and I was instaling Windows Xp home when i received this error message any help would be appreiceated.

It was working ok when I had a smaller hard drive. However I just wanted to add a biger hard drive.

Thank you in advance
    Thursday, September 3, 2009 4:40 AM

All replies

• If you want to install Windows Vista from the CD, it has to be first in the list (you need to boot to the CD-ROM).  You don't want to change it to first or you won't be able to install Windows. Does this occur every time you try to do the installation? Clean the disk and try again. Does it occur no matter what disk you use (or do you get a different error message like the disk is not bootable)? If not, you may have a problem with your CD drive. To test this, put the old disk back in, boot up, and try using the CD. Speciifcally put in the Windows XP disk and see if it can read the files.
    Friday, September 11, 2009 5:20 PM