Windows 10 V 1903 and Outlook Professional Plus 2016 RRS feed

• Question

• I updated to Windows 10, version 1903. Now Outlook in Office Professional Plus 2016 Version 1907 shows the following message, "The set of folders cannot be opened. The information store could not be opened." I need to get to my calendar and contact listing. What do I do? I am not and IT professional, so simple, direct, step-by-step instructions would be greatly appreciated.
    Tuesday, August 27, 2019 2:52 PM

All replies

• Hi,

What specific operations did you do before this error message shown?

Outlook users getting error “Cannot start Microsoft Outlook. Cannot open the Outlook window. The set of folders cannot be opened. The operation failed.” usually indicates that the outlook data file, where outlook has all the information stored cannot be opened. Please refer to the most effective ways below to resolve this error. Note: Before using any method, make sure you’re not using Outlook.

1. Ensure that correct Outlook data file is set as default: Click on Start > Control Panel > Mail > Show Profiles > Properties > Data Files > Select the correct .pst/ost file and click on Set as default. 
    2. Right click on Outlook (.exe) > Properties > Compatibility > uncheck all the boxes.
      To access Outlook (.exe), open the following location:
      C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\root\Office16\OUTLOOK.EXE
    3. Reset Navigation Pane: Press Win + R, type “Outlook.exe /resetnavpane”, press Enter. and see if the issue continues.
    4. There could be some add-ins in your Outlook client that cause this issue, so it is suggested to start your Outlook in safe mode (Press Win + R, type “outlook /safe”, press Enter.)
    5. If you are using a PST file, try repairing the data file; And if you are using an .OST file as your default data file, try recreating the .OST file.
    6. Besides, if Lync (Skype for Business) is running before you run Outlook, please close Lync (Skype for Business) and then run Outlook.
    7. If the solutions above don't work, please try creating and using a new Outlook profile via Control Panel > Mail > Show profile and see if there is any difference.

Hope this can be helpful.

Regards,

Aidan Wang

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Wednesday, August 28, 2019 3:12 AM
  • I just had the same issue after I updated to 1903. What I did to "fix" this was to:

• Locate my Outlook.exe file
    • CTRL + Right-click and select Troubleshoot Compatibility
    • I selected the Try Recommended Settings
    • I clicked Test the program...
    • It opened Outlook and I was able to manage my mail / calendars
    • I clicked Next to save the settings and I am up and running

Hope this works for you.

• Edited by York TY Wednesday, August 28, 2019 11:32 PM
    Wednesday, August 28, 2019 11:31 PM
  • Hi,

Have you got the issue fixed?

I'm writing to see if the reply above is helpful to you. If yes, would you mind helping mark the reply as answer? So that others who might have a similar question can benefit from your thread? Thanks for your understanding and support.

Regards,

Aidan Wang

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Friday, August 30, 2019 8:22 AM