none
Unsupported Server Issue RRS feed

• Question

• Has anyone else encountered this? I have been using Project Online for 5 months now and all of a sudden I get a dialog box titled "unsupported server" when I try to connect from Project Pro to Project Online or when opening a Project in Project Pro from one selected in the Project Centre in PWA.

The dialog box states - "The Server you are trying to access is using an Authentication protocol not supported by this version of Office" - I did a Google search and there is a suggestion this is being caused by Office updates.

I click on the OK button in the dialog box and then get the "Could not connect to Server" dialog box which has a Retry option, clicking Retry does connect me to Project Online from Project Pro.

I have not made any changes to my Office 365 account to my knowledge.

I am also being presented with the login dialog box where I have to provide my Office 365 email and password every time I open Project Professional and from memory don't recall this being the case prior to this issue being encountered.

With good wishes,

Dominic

Microsoft Project Evangelist

Twitter:   LinkedIn:    Web:   

Thursday, January 12, 2017 11:06 AM

All replies

• I thought this Blog from Tom might address my issue

http://www.projility.com/microsoft-projects-unsupported-server-error/

Sadly it does not appear to have fixed my problem - I now have 2 accounts using the same credentials and still get the error message. Next step will be to uninstall and re-install Project Pro for Office 365.

With good wishes,

Dominic

Saturday, January 14, 2017 1:00 PM
  • Reinstalling Project did not fix the issue either - as an aside removing Project resulted in all of Microsoft Office being removed, no option to remove just Project even though Project was listed as a separate programme in Control Panel.

I thought there might be conflict with my using Hotmail and also being signed into Office 365 so I avoided being signed into Hotmail but still encountered the Unsupported Server message.

Surely Tom and I are not the only people to experience this feature?

With good wishes,

Dominic

Monday, January 16, 2017 9:48 AM
  • Working with a customer who is using Project Professional 2016 and they are getting the notorious Unsupported Server "the server you are trying to access is using an authentication protocol not supported by this version of office" error message, as it is their first attempt to access Project Online the Switch Accounts solution isn't going to work.

To add to the fun the user in question is a member of the same three security groups as a colleague who also has Project Professional 2016 installed and can access Project Online from Project Professional 2016 using their Project Account without any trouble at all.

Any suggestions?

With good wishes,

Dominic

Friday, January 27, 2017 9:16 AM
  • Update as far as my customer is concerned - they were missing for an O365 security group that their colleague was a member of, this being managed through Active Directory. Adding them to this O365 security group resolved the -"the server you are trying to access is using an authentication protocol not supported by this version of office" error message.

Interesting that the Project Permissions Security model does not appear to be the sole arbiter of access. Has anyone else got a view on this?

With good wishes,

Dominic

Friday, January 27, 2017 9:48 AM