none
Windows 10 - Surface Pro 4 - Drivers RRS feed

• Question

• Hey,

I'm testing deployment of Windows 10 (Pro x64) on a Surface Pro 4 tablet.  I have imported the entire April driver pack (https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=49498) for the Surface.  Deployment in general is fine, except there are some drivers missing post-deployment.

Interestingly, if I manually update the drivers, using the MDT Out-Of-Box-Drivers folder as the source, it picks up all the missing drivers.

So why are they not being injected/picked up by the initial deployment.  As I say, some of the drivers are being picked up fine, so selection profiles etc. seem to be OK.

Thanks.

Friday, May 6, 2016 7:17 AM

Answers

• So you're injecting all drivers? That's what my concern was there are usually two options for drivers in the inject step pull down - inject known hardware or inject all drivers, you need them all to inject as some hardware isn't available to winpe and needs to be installed post boot.
    • Marked as answer by Lanky Doodle Tuesday, May 10, 2016 7:12 AM
    Monday, May 9, 2016 2:12 PM

All replies

• How are you injecting drivers?  For the Surface Pro 4 you want to create an individual selection profile for the Surface Pro 4 drivers and then inject ALL drivers from the Microsoft cab.
    Friday, May 6, 2016 2:51 PM
  • Hi

You can use the SDA (Surface Deployment Accelerator) to deploy Surface 4 or get inspiration from it. https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/mt683832.aspx?f=255&MSPPError=-2147217396

Kind regards

Per Larsen

Twitter: @PerLarsen1975 | Blog: osddeployment.wordpress.com
    If this post is helpful please vote it as Helpful or click Mark for answer.

Friday, May 6, 2016 6:10 PM
  • I had a similar issue with the Surface Pro 4. What I ended up doing was downing the Firmware update MSI and I ran this as an application in MDT. This took care of any missing drivers and updated the Firmware on the device. Here is the link for the Firmware: https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=49497. Hope this helps.
    Saturday, May 7, 2016 7:01 AM
  • I had similar issues. The April update caused me trouble...

I extracted the zip file and imported all the drivers, just like the FEB update. The April update caused the file path to exceed the allowable path length.

I am creating an offline media path and using the USB method to deploy! 

Can someone assist?

Saturday, May 7, 2016 2:14 PM
  • This is good, you can also grab the MSI and run the command msiexec.exe /a SurfacePro4.msi TARGETDIR=C:\YourFolder and it will dump the entire MSI out into your folder.  I forgot that I had to do this to deal with the Surface 4 drivers, for some reason the zip doesn't have the same contents as the MSI.
    Saturday, May 7, 2016 4:25 PM
  • Good deal mrBrooks! I will test on Monday and post my results here. I appreciate your time.. You have helped me out many times before...
    Saturday, May 7, 2016 4:31 PM
  • Glad to be able to help.  You guys help me get better at this stuff by asking questions I may not see in my own environment, so we both win :)
    Saturday, May 7, 2016 4:35 PM
  • for some reason the zip doesn't have the same contents as the MSI.

That's the thing.  I'm not seeing this.  If I add the entire contents of the zip file to MDT OOB Drivers it does not install them during deployment stage.  If I then retrospectively browse the same MDT OOB Drivers folder is picks them all up and installs them.

So the correct drivers are there, it just can't/doesn't inject them during WinPE stage.

Drivers are seemingly so hard with MDT - I have another problem with Windows 7 and the Intel IMEI driver - it just kills the deployment but causing the first boot after WinPE to moan about some drivers.  Disabling the IMEI driver fixes it, but it's then missing.

Windows 10 and IMEI driver is fine though!

Monday, May 9, 2016 7:26 AM
  • I am indeed doing it with selection profiles:

Monday, May 9, 2016 7:30 AM
  • So you're injecting all drivers? That's what my concern was there are usually two options for drivers in the inject step pull down - inject known hardware or inject all drivers, you need them all to inject as some hardware isn't available to winpe and needs to be installed post boot.
    • Marked as answer by Lanky Doodle Tuesday, May 10, 2016 7:12 AM
    Monday, May 9, 2016 2:12 PM
  • Thank you.  Changing to this option makes it work :)

Tuesday, May 10, 2016 7:13 AM
  • Drivers are seemingly so hard with MDT - I have another problem with Windows 7 and the Intel IMEI driver - it just kills the deployment but causing the first boot after WinPE to moan about some drivers.  Disabling the IMEI driver fixes it, but it's then missing.

Injecting the KMDF update package to the WIM file fixed the IMEI driver issue for Windows 7 :)

So both problems fixed.  Just in case someone stumbles upon this in the future.

Tuesday, May 10, 2016 12:16 PM