none
DPM 2010 With Single disk server RRS feed

• Question

• I’m trying to setup DPM 2010 on our new backup server and it won’t show any disks to add to the storage pool.

The server has 2 x 2TB drives in a RAID 1 setup with a 50GB primary partition (for the OS and DPM) and the rest is unallocated space which I want to use for the HDD backups.

From what I’ve read on the hardware requirements it doesn’t say anything about single disk servers. It only talks about not having any OS or other data on the partition that you want to use for storing backups and you can’t use USB/1394 disks.

Am I doing something wrong?

Tuesday, December 14, 2010 4:18 AM

Answers

• Hi,

You cannot add the operating system disk to the dpm storage pool. If you want to add disks to the DPM storage pool, they should also be all free space.  So that means you will not be able to use the free space on the existing disk for DPM unless you want to use custom volumes, which I would discourage.  If I were you, I would add a new dedicated disk for the (O.S and DPM install files), then use the two 2TB disks for the DPM storage pool.

Regards, Mike J. [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
    Tuesday, December 14, 2010 4:04 PM

All replies

• Hi,

You cannot add the operating system disk to the dpm storage pool. If you want to add disks to the DPM storage pool, they should also be all free space.  So that means you will not be able to use the free space on the existing disk for DPM unless you want to use custom volumes, which I would discourage.  If I were you, I would add a new dedicated disk for the (O.S and DPM install files), then use the two 2TB disks for the DPM storage pool.

Regards, Mike J. [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
    Tuesday, December 14, 2010 4:04 PM
  • As a point of clarification.

If you have one RAID array and thus one disk, you partition 50 GB for the OS, and configure another partition for DPM; DPM cannot use that space because the blank, empty partition is on the same disk as the OS?

In otherwords, the minimum hardware requirement for DPM is two RAID controllers with 4 disks so you can have 1 disk for OS and another entirely separate disk for backup data? (assuming you want a minimum of hardware level redundancy?)

???

Monday, March 28, 2011 10:36 PM
  • Hi Kevin,

DPM can use the free space on a single disk system, but not in the DPM storage pool.  You would need to use custom volumes which is administrative overhead and limiting when it comes to expanding volumes should you need to.  Most raid contollers allow you to make multiple LUNS (logical drives) so you don't need multple raid controllers, just need more disks to make what you need.

Monday, March 28, 2011 11:22 PM