none
No mouse or keyboard access in Session 0

Question

• Hello!

We have an application that runs as a service with a GUI in Session 0. We're noticing in Windows 10 that when we switch to Session 0, we're not able to use the keyboard or mouse to accomplish anything (which makes it impossible to use this application).

This worked previously in the Windows 10 technical preview. Is this a bug in Windows 10? And if so - is there any ETA on a fix, or possibly a workaround in the meantime?

Thanks in advance!

• Edited by GaryPP Wednesday, August 19, 2015 10:16 PM
    Wednesday, August 05, 2015 3:11 PM

Answers

• Three days shy of a month chasing this one, and we just got the following response from our Microsoft support rep:

"I got an update from the higher team and found that the bug is already filed for Session 0 and they are working on it and ETA of a fix is not known."

So, this was, indeed, a bug.

• Marked as answer by GaryPP Wednesday, September 02, 2015 10:50 PM
    • Edited by GaryPP Wednesday, September 02, 2015 10:53 PM
    Wednesday, September 02, 2015 10:50 PM

All replies

• After the latest update for Windows 10 - we can no longer access Session 0 at all.

It looks like the Interactive Services Detection service is no longer running. Attempting to start this service will result in an error that reads:

"Windows could not start the Interactive Services Detection on Local Computer.

Error 1: Incorrect function"

Anyone have any ideas?

Wednesday, August 05, 2015 10:00 PM
  • I'm sure you already know this....  but interacting with the user from a service has been considered "a bad thing" since Windows Vista.

I have no insight into their thinking, but "telling you since Vista", and finally "pulling the plug" in Win10 seems likely.

Thursday, August 06, 2015 2:31 AM
  • Session 0 interaction was added in Vista to be compatible with Windows XP services via a special desktop. It was never intended to provide interactive desktop to Session 0... which was the entire reason why Session 0 isolation was implemented. It doesn't surprise me that this compatibility was sunsetted...

The software developer should update the application for Windows 10.

Thursday, August 06, 2015 2:50 PM
  • The whole "rewrite the app" is a furphy. Unfortunately - it's not feasible - many apps run as Windows Services with a GUI component. There's legacy VB, Delphi, C# and other apps out there that never can be converted or even rewritten.

So Session 0 Interaction has worked fine since Windows Vista. In the Windows 10 Technical Preview it worked fine too. However, in Windows 10 RTM you no longer have any keyboard or mouse input. So I suspect MS is letting us know gently that it's not a good idea.

In regard to the "Incorrect Function" issue simply set the following registry key and reboot:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Windows\NoInteractiveServices

Change from 1 to 0.

Access to Session 0 will be restored. I saw exactly the same problem on the Windows 8 to 8.1 upgrade.

Friday, August 07, 2015 12:12 AM
  • It seems the Microsoft staff has tagged two different posts as answers here, but they are both *very* different answers (one says we should rewrite our application to not utilize Session 0, and the other answer says Session 0 will be restored - which would imply that we *wouldn't* need to rewrite our application).

I'm very confused by this response, and would like some clarification, if possible. This isn't a suitable answer (as there's not been a clear answer at all yet).

Wednesday, August 19, 2015 10:16 PM
  • In summary:

1) There is registry hack to gain back the ability to run the Services Detection service (that's the service that detects bad behavior), so your service can still act badly

2) Rewrite, your service, so it doesn't act badly

Thursday, August 20, 2015 1:42 AM
  • I'm very confused by this response, and would like some clarification, if possible.

There is a timing factor involved here.  Come back more quickly and some responses may not be marked as Answer.

Robert Aldwinckle
    ---

Thursday, August 20, 2015 6:32 AM
  • Windows 10 build 10525: Problem still exists. This is a bug or a feature? It is business critical option for our clients.
    Tuesday, August 25, 2015 6:54 AM
  • ... and the answer hasn't changed.

It should be obvious that Microsoft is intentionally moving away from allowing services to "talk" to users.  This started about 8 years ago with Windows Vista, and continues with more determination to this day.

For a short term fix, you could do the registry fix as cited above.  However, there no guarantee that this fix will continue to work in Windows 10 or any future versions of Windows.

Clearly, they intended us to rewrite services to be well behaved.... just like they have been telling us to do for 8 years now.

• Edited by graye Tuesday, August 25, 2015 1:38 PM
    Tuesday, August 25, 2015 1:38 PM
  • Graye - 

Thanks for your feedback.

The registry fix listed above simply gets the Session 0 instance *visible* again (after an update, there was an issue with it not coming up at all, and simply prompting a "Error 1: Incorrect function" prompt). The original issue (with not having keyboard and mouse access once you're in Session 0) still persists after performing the registry fix.

We've been working on this issue with Microsoft since August 5th - but still have not received an answer (their "Windows Setup and Cluster Team" is currently investigating it). We tested our application thoroughly on the Windows 10 tech preview to ensure that we would be good to go for the official Windows 10 release (and, again, everything worked fine there).

So, I guess what we're looking for here is any sort of "official word" from Microsoft on wether this is a bug (because it seems if they were intending on sunsetting this feature, they would have done so it the tech preview so we had a "heads up"), or if this is indeed the behavior they intended (but we're creeping up on a month of investigation with no answer).

We're honestly hesitate to accept "you need to rewrite the app" as a solution here, because that's  a very expensive endeavor for our company (both in time, and money) - and we want to make sure that's *absolutely* necessary before starting down that path.

Wednesday, August 26, 2015 3:40 PM
  • Ah, so the registry fix only allowed services to "send" data to the user... and that "receiving" data from the user is still broken.  I was not aware of the distinction.

Yeah, that sucks.... I'd bet you'd be hard pressed to find someone at Microsoft that knows enough about this issue to be able to tell you.  I would imagine that support of "legacy features" is not something that is rigorously tested.   But still... a "breaking change" is something that they need to know about.

Wednesday, August 26, 2015 4:05 PM
  • Yeah, that sucks.... I'd bet you'd be hard pressed to find someone at Microsoft that knows enough about this issue to be able to tell you. 

We're 21 days into "working" with Microsoft, and have yet to be able to get a support agent to actually *get in* to Session 0 to see the problem first hand.

But, alas, I guess we have no choice but to keep pushing this issue in front of them. Keeping our fingers crossed for an answer soon (or, at *least* before the end of the year, at this rate).

Wednesday, August 26, 2015 10:37 PM
  • Three days shy of a month chasing this one, and we just got the following response from our Microsoft support rep:

"I got an update from the higher team and found that the bug is already filed for Session 0 and they are working on it and ETA of a fix is not known."

So, this was, indeed, a bug.

• Marked as answer by GaryPP Wednesday, September 02, 2015 10:50 PM
    • Edited by GaryPP Wednesday, September 02, 2015 10:53 PM
    Wednesday, September 02, 2015 10:50 PM
  • Is MS still working on fixing this?
    Tuesday, March 01, 2016 12:03 PM
  • Any information on an updated ETA for this fix would be truly appreciated.
    Friday, March 25, 2016 11:32 PM
  • Thank you for sharing, this is good news.

Please also share updates, I am awaiting the fix.

Wednesday, May 11, 2016 3:51 PM
  • Just upgraded to the build 1607 release and this bug still does not appear to have been fixed. All I see is a totally black screen when I click on the switch to the interactive desktop which eventually times out and kicks me back to the login screen.

Is anyone at Microsoft going to give us an answer on when this will be fixed? It's been a year and still nothing. Who do we contact? The silence on this issue is deafening.

Wednesday, August 03, 2016 5:07 PM
  • Ditto.

Wednesday, August 17, 2016 2:45 PM
  • Are there any news when this bug will be fixed?

Monday, October 17, 2016 2:18 PM
  • When is MS going to stop breaking things that work? 

This is unacceptable on their part.

How do we enter a bug report and get this fixed?

PS AND THIS INCIDENT IS NOT REALLY ANSWERED.

• Edited by JonPeterson Monday, November 07, 2016 8:23 AM
    Monday, November 07, 2016 8:20 AM
  • Anything?

It really is dragging on...

• Edited by scerazy Thursday, December 08, 2016 11:05 AM
    • Proposed as answer by Dennis2305 Tuesday, January 17, 2017 2:37 AM
    • Unproposed as answer by Dennis2305 Tuesday, January 17, 2017 2:37 AM
    Thursday, December 08, 2016 11:01 AM
  • Any News? This issue is really anoying.
    Tuesday, January 17, 2017 2:38 AM
  • Still no mouse and keyboard in session 0
    Friday, February 24, 2017 8:12 PM
  • I did find somewhat of a workaround on this.  We have a printer driver (Sato Label Printers) that require configuration in Session 0.  I can't get keyboard and mouse input locally on the machine, but I can VNC to it and do my work in Session 0.  Hope this helps some.
    • Proposed as answer by JASROwen Thursday, March 30, 2017 2:08 PM
    • Unproposed as answer by JASROwen Thursday, March 30, 2017 2:08 PM
    Monday, March 27, 2017 5:15 PM
  • This (the use of VNC) worked for us, to help with an application called 4D
    Thursday, March 30, 2017 2:09 PM
  • Intriguing.  I have TightVNC server installed.  But it doesn't connect in session 0 for me, even if I run the server as the System user.

Thursday, March 30, 2017 3:36 PM