Network Policy Server (NPS) randomly loosing list of servers RRS feed

• Question

• Hello, I use Network Policy Server (NPS) on RD gateway computer as proxy to the central NPS server. This particular NPS is also used for authentication of VPN users (also as proxy).

The problem is that server randomly loses list of remote RADIUS servers (groups). It happens rather rare (once a week or two) but stable. Initially I created a group with my own given name. This group was completely washed out and another group appeared itself: "TS GATEWAY SERVER GROUP". So I put there my server but the problem persists: now that group just becomes empty. It's look like as some scheduler rewrite my setting with some [empty] template. I'm totally confused.

• Edited by Nikriaz Monday, May 15, 2017 10:57 AM
    Monday, May 15, 2017 10:55 AM

All replies

• Hi,

>>This group was completely washed out and another group appeared itself: "TS GATEWAY SERVER GROUP“

"TS GATEWAY SERVER GROUP" is create by RD gateway. It is normally that TS GATEWAY SERVER GROUP is empty.

There are some suggestions to you

1 When "TS GATEWAY SERVER GROUP“ appears, you can manually create another group with your own given name at the time .

2 Following in these figures to configure “forward requests to the following remote RADIUS server group for authentication”

3Add another server to configure NPS as a RADIUS Proxy

Best Regards,

Frank

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Thursday, June 1, 2017 9:27 AM
  • Hi, thank you for your reply.

As I stated in my question, I tried to create my own group but it is just disappearing (in same pace as TS SERVER GROUP becomes empty). All the rest what you suggested is done and works as should. The only problem is clearing up server groups - both my own or self-created. I still have to back my NPS server manually from time to time. 

While the background of this problem could be complex, may be you can advice registry key that contains the NPS server and its group? I would just make a schedule to add this key periodically. 

Thursday, June 1, 2017 9:49 AM
  • Hi,

According to my research, there is no directly registry key to solve your problem.

You can troubleshoot by Process Monitor .

Process Monitor

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/processmonitor.aspx

Best Regards,

Frank

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Friday, June 9, 2017 9:55 AM
  • Well... any idea how process monitor could help? There was an idea to track registry or files changes to learn where NPS keeps its config. However, given the fact that the trouble occurs quite rare (approx. once a two weeks), it seems it is literally impossible.
    Thursday, June 15, 2017 10:45 AM
  • Hi,
    Please follow the steps to monitor Registry changes:
    1.Click Filter > Filter > Add.
    2.Select "Path" in the first list box, "contains" in the second.
    3.Enter all or a part of the Registry path you’re monitoring in the text box. We’ll use Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main\Start Page to keep up with our example.
    4.Select "include" in the final list box, then Add, and we’re done.
    5.Turn on event capturing if it’s not running already (File > Capture Events), and try changing Internet Explorer’s home page via IE itself, Regedit and any other convenient tool.
    6.In each case Process Monitor displays any reads or writes to your Registry key, along with the date, time, new value, and the process making this happen.
    We’ve kept this really simple, just about monitoring a single key, but Process Monitor does much more. You could try widening filters a little (use Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer to monitor all IE changes). Adding more filters. Or remove them all, capture everything, and use the various highlighting and search features to find what you need.

Best Regards
    Frank

Friday, June 16, 2017 7:01 AM
  • Would we know the registry key, will be the reason to monitor it? ;)
    Friday, June 16, 2017 8:02 AM
  • Hi,

Thank you for your question. I forget it.
    I am trying to involve someone familiar with this topic to further look at this issue. There might be some time delay. Appreciate your patience.

Thank you for your understanding and support.

Best Regards,

Frank

Tuesday, June 20, 2017 8:36 AM