Save as PDF option in MS Word 2007 does not create TOC links RRS feed

• Question

• Hello All,

i am using Microsoft Office Word 2007 to create How to Guides, Installation Manuals, and other technical documents. I send these documents to customer in PDF format.

When i use "Save as PDF" option of MS Word 2007 to generate PDF file, it creates the PDF but without TOC links. TOC entries are there but hyperlinks are missing.

Can anyone please provide me a solution to work around this issue.

Thanks in Advance.

Anax Thomas

http://www.msentouragerecovery.com

• Moved by Sally Tang Monday, February 21, 2011 9:18 AM (From:Office 2007 Planning and Deployment)
    Monday, February 21, 2011 6:38 AM

Answers

• A-ha!  I was in the same situation.  This worked for me: choose Insert Table Of Contents, then on the Web Preview select Use Hyperlinks Instead Of Page Numbers, and hit ok.  It should ask if you want to replace the existing TOC.

Now when I print, the TOC links work.  It shouldn't have anything to do with the web view, but there you have it.

• Marked as answer by Max Meng Saturday, August 20, 2011 1:12 PM
    Wednesday, March 16, 2011 3:18 AM

All replies

• Hi,

It seems that you are trying to insert a Hyperlink in you document which you want to save as a PDF file from Word 2007, but when you open the PDF file there is no such a Hyperlink but only the website address.

If there is anything misunderstanding, please feel free to let me know.

Try this:

When you have inputted the website address, enter an “Space” or “Enter” behind it to make it turn into a Hyperlink before you save the document into PDF file.

Sincerely,

Fangfang

Monday, February 21, 2011 9:21 AM
  • Hello Andrew,

Thanks for your response.

I am not inserting any hyperlink in the document. I have Table Of Contents, which have links or cross reference to all the sections in the document. Like it shows in document map. Every Technical document contains TOC or Table of Contents.

When i convert the document to PDF, it generates the TOC but does not create links to its sections.

Regards,

Anax Thomas

Tuesday, February 22, 2011 5:24 AM
  • A-ha!  I was in the same situation.  This worked for me: choose Insert Table Of Contents, then on the Web Preview select Use Hyperlinks Instead Of Page Numbers, and hit ok.  It should ask if you want to replace the existing TOC.

Now when I print, the TOC links work.  It shouldn't have anything to do with the web view, but there you have it.

• Marked as answer by Max Meng Saturday, August 20, 2011 1:12 PM
    Wednesday, March 16, 2011 3:18 AM
  • Hi.

1. When you save the document, check the Options in Save dialog box. 

2. Download PDF plugin from here. Install. Publish the file as pdf. File -> Publish -> PDF

• Proposed as answer by DammZ Tuesday, March 22, 2011 6:44 AM
    Thursday, March 17, 2011 2:21 PM
  • Thank you Andrew. I have done this once before and could not remember how I did it. I have a new "user manual" that needs to be published and I could not get it to work until I read your post. I have Word 2007 and it work for me when choosing "Save as" -> "PDF or XPS" to create the pdf.

To get it work, I highlighted the entire TOC, right-clicked and selected "Edit Filed...". Then I clicked the "Table of Contents" button and checked the "Use hyperlinks instead of page numbers" option. The Web Preview is deceiving because it removes the pages numbers. The Print Preview does still show correctly and the pdf file looks and works correctly.

Thanks again.

Friday, August 19, 2011 8:01 PM
  • As a simpler solution, try the following:

- Click Save as...PDF or XPS.

- Select PDF as the save type, then click Options (above the Publish button).

- Midway down, select Create bookmarks using: and select Headings.

Your heading TOC entries should now be hyperlinks in the PDF when you publish.

I have not tested all possibilities, but a little experimentation suggests this method should work to link anything that shows up in the TOC.

Monday, December 19, 2011 5:18 PM
  • I think you meant Edit Field..., select the TOC category, then click the "Table of Contents" button - at least, that is how my Word 2010 works. Also, it had Use hyperlinks checked by default.

Network and Systems Manager

Monday, April 30, 2012 6:06 PM
  • In MS Word 2010 Click Save As

1. Select Save As Type = PDF

2. Click Options

3. in Third section "Include non-printing information

4. check Create bookmarks Using Heading (Check Radio button)

5. Clcik save.

Word exports all TOC as live nice and dandy clickable links.

• Edited by Zaik 93 Thursday, May 1, 2014 12:30 AM
    Thursday, May 1, 2014 12:29 AM