none
People Search Results Duplicates

Question

• Good day 

I have an issues at one customer (Using Office 365/SharePoint online) where certain People search results are duplicated (Not ALL). We're using a standard People Results Source and a standard People Search results page.

The funny scenario is if I do a search for a person's name or surname, it only brings back 1 result. If I do a * (ALL) search, it brings back duplicates for some (Once again, not all). I have checked the search results web part and Remove Duplicates is checked.

People picker shows only 1 Person and not duplicates

I did further investigation by switching on a debug Search Results template and found that there is 1 property named DocId which makes the two duplicates not identical anymore. I have no idea why search results would contain a property named DocId.

Has anyone else encountered this issue? 

Any advice

• Edited by KiwiFox Sunday, February 12, 2017 10:08 PM More info added
    Sunday, February 12, 2017 8:35 PM

All replies

• Hi KiwiFox,

For your issue, please check your profiles that have been imported and see if there are duplicates. 

Navigate to user profile service application->Manage user profiles->check whether there are duplicate peoples found in the user profiles.

Navigate to user profile service application->Manage user properties->check whether there is the DocId property. If the DocId property is not required, try to delete the property and compare the results.

Edit Search Center people results page-> In the Search Results Web Part properties box, click Change query in the Properties for Search Results->Click the Settings tab, choose Remove Duplicates, and then click OK.

Here is a similar issue post for your reference:

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/msonline/en-US/f9e3da06-cd98-4acb-883a-a5ce3ba8b378/people-search-core-result-webpart-showing-duplicate-records?forum=sharepointsearchlegacy

Besides, since your issue is related to SharePoint online, I suggest you creating a new thread in the corresponding forum:

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us

The reason why we recommend posting appropriately is you will get the most qualified pool of respondents, and other partners who read the forums regularly can either share their knowledge or learn from your interaction with us. Thanks for your understanding.

Best Regards,

Lisa Chen

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com

Monday, February 13, 2017 9:52 AM
  • Hi Lisa. I'm afraid you did not read my question properly.

Firstly, this is SharePoint online so there is no User Profile Service Application. User Profiles do exit, but that's in the Office 365 tenancy and not under a SharePoint Service Application

I did mention that the issue was related to Office 365.

Also, you mention I should select "Remove Duplicates", but my comments clearly state:

"I have checked the search results web part and Remove Duplicates is checked."

You asked me to create a new thread in the corresponding thread.. That's strange. This thread is called 

> 

Microsoft Online: SharePoint Online.  So why would I need to create a new thread in a different forum? 

I suggest you read questions better before answering with generic answers

Monday, February 13, 2017 7:06 PM
  • Hi KiwiFox,

Yes, I know that you are working in SharePoint online.

In SharePoint online, there is User Profile Service Application in Admin center: Make sure you have permission to access it, If not, contact The Global administrator of the Office 365 portal.

Second, I just want to confirm that you have selected "Remove Duplicates" in your Search Results Web Part properties.

Third, the following link I offered is a place to discuss questions about office 365 now.

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us

Best Regards,

Lisa Chen

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com

Tuesday, February 14, 2017 2:03 AM
  • Just in case someone else has this problem: I had this exact scenario.  I found that there is a Query Rule called "People Name in People Search" which was adding the duplicate result when you search on a user's exact name.  I made the query rule inactive by going to:

Site Settings > Query Rules > Change Result Source to "Local People Results" > Select the "People Name in People Search" rule and made it inactive.  

As far as I can tell no negative affects. 

Wednesday, July 19, 2017 6:48 PM