Auto Compact PST file RRS feed

• Question

• Hi mates!

Is there any way to compact PST file automatically?

Or maybe from PowerShell using Outlook Object Model? then I can automate it by script...

Many thanks!

Friday, May 11, 2018 3:55 PM

All replies

• Hi Victor,

Outlook has automatic compaction which takes place as an idle task in the background. The following conditions must be true for this background task to take place:

1) You must be running Outlook.

2) Your computer must not be engaged in other CPU-intensive tasks such as copying or downloading files.

Please check whether you have met these two requirements.

Besides, as far as I know, I'm afraid there may be impossible to compact pst files via Outlook Object Model. 

Thank you for your understanding and support.

Regards,

Perry

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Click here to learn more. Visit the dedicated forum to share, explore and talk to experts about Microsoft Teams.

• Proposed as answer by Perry-Pan Tuesday, May 15, 2018 6:17 AM
    Monday, May 14, 2018 7:00 AM
  • Hi Victor,

Just to check whether the replies above is helpful to you.

Please feel free to tell me if you need further assistance.

Regards,

Perry

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Click here to learn more. Visit the dedicated forum to share, explore and talk to experts about Microsoft Teams.

Wednesday, May 16, 2018 8:06 AM
  • Hi Victor,

I am writing to see whether the replies above are helpful to you. If the above information was helpful, could you please help mark it as answer so it will be easy for other forum members who might have similar issues to find the useful one?

Have a nice day!

Regards,

Perry

Thursday, May 17, 2018 6:49 AM
  • Hi Guys,

I already knew about this setting, but it is not very well perfomance...

I will need to close and open outlook from scritp... I think that will be usefull... In this case is an Outlook into a VM doing only maintenance task, but if it does in client desktop it will be useless.

Microsoft, please take note about this feature requeriment. You must provide a way to automate this.

Many thanks!

Tuesday, May 22, 2018 8:41 AM
  • Hi,

Thank you for your feedback here. 

You could also send the feedback to our team directly via File > Feedback.

Have a nice day:)

Regards,

Perry

Tuesday, May 22, 2018 8:59 AM
  • Found an good example of this in powershell:

https://gallery.technet.microsoft.com/office/How-to-automatically-b964761d

• Edited by kolonuk Tuesday, December 11, 2018 9:47 AM
    Tuesday, December 11, 2018 9:46 AM