Access to OWA public folders without a mailbox? RRS feed

• Question

• Is this possible in Exchange 2010?  I have inherited an Exchange 2003 environment and users without a mailbox can view public folders in OWA - ie you can get the direct link for the public folder via Internet Explorer and users without a mailbox can view it in a browser (its a noticeboard system basically).

It looks like this is not possible in Exchange 2010 as users without a mailbox receive "Your account does not have a mailbox" which is what I thought Exchange 2003 would do until I saw it working with OWA 2003!  Is there hacking of code required to get this working in Exchange 2010, or is it not possible at all?

I am going to put forward that we keep things simple and just give the people mailboxes to not make changes to the way Exchange works, but just need to see if the code change is simple or a permissions thing as the company want to keep mailbox access restricted...

• Edited by Douggly Sunday, July 14, 2013 9:14 PM
    Sunday, July 14, 2013 9:12 PM

Answers

All replies

• Hi Douggly,

I think you're right. It can't work after Exchange 2003. Although the thread below is for Exchange 2007, I thought it may also apply for Exchange 2010.
    http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/exchange/en-US/73d59d91-beba-4813-b22a-9eec4218011f/grant-domain-users-without-mailboxes-access-to-public-folders

Someone suggested EWS maybe a way but requiring coding. You may ask about the possibility in development forum.

Best regards.

Monday, July 15, 2013 1:50 AM
  • Yeah, that is all I can find about it too.  I am not keen on using EWS to create an application, so it looks like the only option is to enable the mailboxes or create a single shared account.
    Monday, July 15, 2013 2:24 AM
  • Hi,

In Exchange 2003 we would access Public Folder content without mail enabled user account, which is we need to give everyone access permission for the Root Folder which will inheritance for all sub folders.

In Exchange 2010 we cannot access the Public Folder Content without Mail Enabled User account, So either you can user dedicated user account or shard account to access the public folder content.

Regards

Gangaiyan.M Enterprise Messaging Administrator-Exchange 2010. Windows 2008 Active Directory Configuring. If my answer helped you, Mark it as Propose as answer http://exchangeexpertscommunity.blogspot.in/

Monday, July 15, 2013 4:26 AM