none
Timeline (2010): Critical Path items RRS feed

• Question

• Using the Timeline in Project Pro 2010; however tasks that are on the Critical path do not show in red on the timeline.

Can the Timeline be configured to show Critical Path items in the Timeline in a different color (red) or highlighted due to being on the Critical Path?

Wednesday, July 23, 2014 8:40 PM

Answers

• C. Abel,

The short answer is NO. The addition and formatting of Timeline Text is pretty manual. Some "text Styles" are available, but the they do not include.

I have not tried it, myself, but I presume you could record a macro to filter for all critical tasks (in the Gantt Chart View), Select All, and then Add them to timeline. And you could run that macro whenever the file is opened. May not be the complete solution, but could be useful.

Cheers,

Prasanna Adavi, Project MVP

Blog:   Podcast:    Twitter:    LinkedIn:   

• Marked as answer by C. Abel Thursday, July 24, 2014 12:15 PM
    Thursday, July 24, 2014 12:24 AM

All replies

• C. Abel,

The short answer is NO. The addition and formatting of Timeline Text is pretty manual. Some "text Styles" are available, but the they do not include.

I have not tried it, myself, but I presume you could record a macro to filter for all critical tasks (in the Gantt Chart View), Select All, and then Add them to timeline. And you could run that macro whenever the file is opened. May not be the complete solution, but could be useful.

Cheers,

• Marked as answer by C. Abel Thursday, July 24, 2014 12:15 PM
    Thursday, July 24, 2014 12:24 AM
  • Thank you for the information Prasanna!

Good suggestion on filtering by critical and then only adding those to the Timeline.  Certainly provides an option; downside is that would require clearing out the other Timeline info, so we would just need to then redo the 'default' timeline tasks/milestones that people want to review.

Thanks,

Cheryl

Thursday, July 24, 2014 12:15 PM
  • Hi C.Abel,

In addition to Prasanna's answer, I would add that the timeline feature intends to give a high level view of the project phases and not a tracking view for critical activities. Thus you should use for example the tracking view to follow-up critical activities.

Hope this helps,

Guillaume Rouyre, MBA, MCP, MCTS |

Thursday, July 24, 2014 12:16 PM
  • Cheryl,

You could create multiple timeline views, so may be just dedicate one for critical activities?

http://epmsource.com/2014/02/23/multiple-timelines-revisited/

Having said that, I kind of agree with Guillarme, you should use Timeline for 'visibility', and other methods for 'tracking'.

Cheers,

Thursday, July 24, 2014 12:37 PM