none
Best processor RAM combo? RRS feed

• Question

• Hi

I looking at a new laptop both are the same price but don't know if it's best to get more RAM or a better processor.

The first is Aspire 5742Z Pentium (P6200) 2.13GHz 4GB  Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit and the second is 

Aspire 5733  (Intel Core i3-370), 3GB, Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit.

Thanks for your help

Sunday, October 2, 2011 7:48 PM

Answers

All replies

• My personal preference is to get a better CPU, as the RAM can always be upgraded at a later time if needed.  Also, look at the speed of the RAM and the type of hard drive that the laptop comes with. An SSD goes a long way with the speed of a laptop.
    If you found this post helpful, please "Vote as Helpful". If it answered your question, remember to "Mark as Answer".

Rich Prescott | MCITP, MCTS, MCP

[Blog] Engineering Efficiency | [Twitter] @Rich_Prescott | [Powershell GUI] Client System Administration tool | [PowerShell GUI] New AD User Creation tool
    • Marked as answer by tooeasy78 Sunday, October 2, 2011 9:59 PM
    Sunday, October 2, 2011 7:57 PM
  • Yeah I thought maybe a better CPU was going to be better. Going go for that then.

Thanks a lot for your answer

Sunday, October 2, 2011 10:00 PM

• I would agree that the better CPU is the way to go, assuming all else is equal except the RAM. It's a lot cheaper to add more RAM than it is to replace a CPU.

SC Tom

Sunday, October 2, 2011 11:09 PM