none
DPM 2010 Backups to standalone Tape Drive RRS feed

• Question

• Hi All

Very new to DPM. I have DPM protecting my SBS 08 server D-D-T.
    LTO 5 drive with about 15 LTO 4 tapes.

I have a lot of stagnant data so I really only need to backup to tape once a week and don’t really require much retention.
    Currently my data gets backed up every 6 hours to disk and every week to Tape.
    Exchange is every 15mins to disk express full every night to disk and every week to tape.
    C drive and System State every 6 hours to disk and every week to tape

My first question is what would be the simplest method for backing up to tape ie (1 month every week?) and am I required to inventory library every time I insert a tape, be it used or new.

Also with my 6TB worth of data how can I get DPM to backup over multiple tapes, the job keeps failing when the tape is full. I have tried editing the PromtingTimeOut reg key however it is not even in my registry?

Cheers
    Don

Friday, January 20, 2012 4:30 AM

Answers

• Hi Don,

1) depends what your goals are. It seems as if you have several protection groups. So tape co-location might be a good idea to be able to streamline several protection groups/datasources onto the same tape. In regards to backup of 1xweek for 1 month I have scheduled long term protection with only one protection goal of 1xweek for 1 month. You could also choose short time protection to tape as you want to backup once a week but I wouldn't do that.

In addition ensure that you have enough tapes. Always have one more tape then you require so that the data is truly expired on your old tapes.

2) PromptingTimeOut - have you checked that everything is correct? I had an error with hex value and so the key simply wasn't read. Also be sure to either re-start the DPM server or re-start the DPMRA service so that the key is read by DPM.

Friday, January 20, 2012 11:03 AM

All replies

• Hi Don,

1) depends what your goals are. It seems as if you have several protection groups. So tape co-location might be a good idea to be able to streamline several protection groups/datasources onto the same tape. In regards to backup of 1xweek for 1 month I have scheduled long term protection with only one protection goal of 1xweek for 1 month. You could also choose short time protection to tape as you want to backup once a week but I wouldn't do that.

In addition ensure that you have enough tapes. Always have one more tape then you require so that the data is truly expired on your old tapes.

2) PromptingTimeOut - have you checked that everything is correct? I had an error with hex value and so the key simply wasn't read. Also be sure to either re-start the DPM server or re-start the DPMRA service so that the key is read by DPM.

Friday, January 20, 2012 11:03 AM
  • Hi sroe

Ok so I have got every thing operating smoothly except for the the prompting time out When I go to HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Microsoft Data Protection Manager\1.0\ the prompting folder is missing.

How do I fix this, I have tried putting the entry straight into 1.0, however this does nothing Also excuse the ignorance but would you kindly explain what tape co-location is and how it works.

Cheers

Sunday, January 22, 2012 2:11 AM