none
Newbie - VM running out of disk space. Not sure of next move

Question

• Situation is this:

I have a couple of VMs that are getting very low on disk space.  One has about 5g and the other about 10g.  I would like to increase the available disk space volume on both.  I recently added a new physical hard drive to the box.  This added a new "D drive", but the two VMs are sitting on the old "C drive" that is running low on space.  I'm not sure of my next move /  options.

1. Can I allocate some of that new drive over to these VMs?

2.  Do I need to re-build the VMs on the new drive?

3.  Something else??

Please help shed some direction for me. 

Thanks

Thursday, April 6, 2017 5:01 AM

Answers

• Hi Sir,

You may first extend the virtual hard disk in hyper-v manager then extend disk space inside that VM .

If the VM disk was attached to SCSI controller you can click "edit" in VM properties to extend (expand) the VHD, otherwise , you may need to shutdown that VM then perform "extending".

After you extended the vhd successfully , then extend virtual hard disk in the vm through disk management .

Best Regards,

Elton

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Friday, April 7, 2017 2:43 AM
  • Situation is this:

I have a couple of VMs that are getting very low on disk space.  One has about 5g and the other about 10g.  I would like to increase the available disk space volume on both.  I recently added a new physical hard drive to the box.  This added a new "D drive", but the two VMs are sitting on the old "C drive" that is running low on space.  I'm not sure of my next move /  options.

3.  Something else??

Thanks

Hi,

you can perform storage migration of your VMs https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/hh831656(v=ws.11).aspx to D drive and than extend virtual disk of your VMs (after that you can expand volume inside the virtualized OS) https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dn282284(v=ws.11).aspx

All of this can be done without outage if your virtual disks are .VHDX and your VMs are generation 2 virtual machines.

Radek

• Edited by Radek Tylich Thursday, April 6, 2017 6:33 AM
    • Marked as answer by captkirk35 Friday, April 7, 2017 4:35 AM
    Thursday, April 6, 2017 6:33 AM

All replies

• Situation is this:

3.  Something else??

Thanks

Hi,

you can perform storage migration of your VMs https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/hh831656(v=ws.11).aspx to D drive and than extend virtual disk of your VMs (after that you can expand volume inside the virtualized OS) https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dn282284(v=ws.11).aspx

All of this can be done without outage if your virtual disks are .VHDX and your VMs are generation 2 virtual machines.

Radek

• Edited by Radek Tylich Thursday, April 6, 2017 6:33 AM
    • Marked as answer by captkirk35 Friday, April 7, 2017 4:35 AM
    Thursday, April 6, 2017 6:33 AM
  • Thanks for the reply.. 

Let me see if I'm tracking ...

1. The "storage migration" process take the virtual hard drive (the "C drive" that is running out of space) and moves it to the new volume (the "D drive") on my host.

2.  Once that is done, I can extend the virtual hard drive capacity.

3.  Once the capacity is extended, I can "expand" the volume of the virtual hard drive from within the VM's Disk Management.

Do I have that right

After step 1, I can extend the hard drive capacity, but when I go to the VM > Server Manager> Computer Management > Disk Management  and then I R-click on the Volume and select 'Extend Volume' the Total Volume shows the new capacity, but the 'Maximum Available space in MB' only shows the previous limit that I had prior to extending the drive.  Am I missing something?

• Edited by captkirk35 Thursday, April 6, 2017 8:27 PM
    Thursday, April 6, 2017 6:54 PM
  • Hi Sir,

You may first extend the virtual hard disk in hyper-v manager then extend disk space inside that VM .

If the VM disk was attached to SCSI controller you can click "edit" in VM properties to extend (expand) the VHD, otherwise , you may need to shutdown that VM then perform "extending".

After you extended the vhd successfully , then extend virtual hard disk in the vm through disk management .

Best Regards,

Elton

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Friday, April 7, 2017 2:43 AM
  • Thank you
    Friday, April 7, 2017 4:34 AM