Offering same OSD file twice not possible? RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

Within our company, IE is the standard browser but two websites need to be offered with Mozilla FireFox 4. So I sequenced FireFox (it works without any hassle) and imported the package in the App-V management console.

Then I offered an application based on this package. The URL of the website was specified in the parameters field of the shortcut. Worked perfectly. Firefox goes to the right webpage immediately.

Then I thought I'd do the same for the second website. So I duplicated the first application and changed only the application name, the permissions (different group involved) and the URL in the parameter field. So the packaged used and the specific OSD file are the same for both applications.

When I did that, the first shortcut disappeared from the start menu on the client. I cannot get the App-V client to show both. When I disable one of them, the shortcut of the other will appear, but when I enable both of them, only one is shown.

Is this by design or a known issue? I cannot offer the same OSD file twice or something?

I'm going to duplicate the package so I can use two different Mozilla Firefox packages for now, but I would be interested to know if my former strategy could be made to work.

Thanks,

Vincent

Tuesday, April 12, 2011 11:25 AM

Answers

• I usualy create 1 package for the browser and create several shortcuts to the executable of the browser with the website as a parameter.
    This would result in multiple OSD's, one for each shortcut / website.

• Proposed as answer by znack Tuesday, April 12, 2011 1:08 PM
    • Marked as answer by Vincent Timmermans Tuesday, April 12, 2011 2:12 PM
    Tuesday, April 12, 2011 12:01 PM

All replies

• Hello,

All OSD-files have to have a unique combination of Name + Version and a unique name for the OSD-file.

I usually differ the Version number and implement that in the OSD-file name. 
    /Znack
    Tuesday, April 12, 2011 11:32 AM
  • I usualy create 1 package for the browser and create several shortcuts to the executable of the browser with the website as a parameter.
    This would result in multiple OSD's, one for each shortcut / website.

• Marked as answer by Vincent Timmermans Tuesday, April 12, 2011 2:12 PM
    Tuesday, April 12, 2011 12:01 PM
  • Hi,

Change the following if you have copied an OSD File:
    <SOFTPKG GUID="?????" NAME="???" VERSION="???">

Also Change the Details under <MGMT_SHORTCUTLIST> <SHORTCUT>
    Inparticular the FILENAME and DISPLAYNAME attributes. This should stop the issue you are seeing where only one of the applications will display.

Save OSD as new File Name.

Also open the SPRJ With Notepad and add the OSD File Name to the <SHORTCUTS> sections. This will ensure that the new OSD is parsed when you open the applicaiton for upgrade on the Sequencer in future.

Tuesday, April 12, 2011 12:49 PM
  • Thanks for the info.

I created 4 shortcuts during sequencing to the same executable (two to spare for the future) thus creating 4 osd files. I could then use 2 of those to create two applications in the management console.

Another problem solved.

Vincent

Tuesday, April 12, 2011 2:12 PM