BSOD because of the aswtdi.sys, ndis.sys, fltmgr.sys, win32k.sys, 0x000003b etc. RRS feed

• Question

• I get the BSOD quite a lot and the reasons are aswtdi.sys, ndis.sys, fltmgr.sys, win32k.sys, 0x000003b and other files as well. I have attached the minidump folder.

If I go to the 'view events logs' I can see under the 'critical' sectio if i expand it it shows: Event: 41; Source: Kernel-Power; Log: System;  Last hour: 3; 24 hours: 48; 7 days: 114

Under the Error section I see many events including for example:

Event: 0      Source: VMCService     Log: Application       Last h: 1   24h: 45  7days: 104

Event: 0      Source: WLAN-Tray      Log: Broadcom Wireless LAN     Last h: 0   24h: 1 7days: 2

I have more than at least 50 errors.

What should I do to prevent my computer from BSOD? It's getting really annoying!

Here's the minidump folder:

https://skydrive.live.com/redir.aspx?cid=7d06c4dcde99dbae&resid=7D06C4DCDE99DBAE!107&parid=7D06C4DCDE99DBAE!106

Friday, January 27, 2012 3:52 PM

Answers

• Hi,

aswTdi.SYS is the driver for Avast.  I checked all the dump files and I would like to know some detail information about this issue:
    1.When did this issue occurs?
    2.Did you installed any third software, driver or external drive recently?

In this case, I suggest that you upgrade all the drivers and check this issue in Clean Boot. If the issue disappears, it may be caused by third party software. You could use 50-50 method in this article to narrow down the root cause:
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929135

Note: Clean Boot is a step of troubleshooting, we can go back to normal by running MSCONIFG.

In case this issue persists,  please try following steps:
    1.Use “Chkdsk /f” and “sfc /scannow ” commands to check the disk and system file.
    2.Scan the virus on your machine.
    3.Use Windows Memory Diagnostic to check the memory.

Hope that helps

William Tan

TechNet Community Support

• Marked as answer by Arthur Xie Tuesday, February 21, 2012 5:59 AM
    Thursday, February 2, 2012 1:22 PM