Forefront Client Security Agent on SBS 2008 RRS feed

• Question

• I have a new server running SBS 2008. I really like the trial versions of OneCare and Forefront Security for Exchange Server, but the 120 day trial expires on these products in about 60 days so I need to make a decision on how to protect the server and clients.

We plan to buy FSES for email protection, but OneCare appears to be discontinuted by Microsoft. I am looking at Forefront Client Security, but I see that the FCS management console will not install/run on a SBS 2008 server. That isn't a big problem because I have a small network (1 server, 5 clients) and hadn't planned to buy MOM.

My problem is that the online information is unclear as to whether or not the FCS Agent will run on a SBS 2008 server to protect the server OS against viruses, malware, etc. Can anyone tell me for certain whether or not it will? And, if so is it good enough to protect the server?

Thanks
    T Moore
    Wednesday, October 28, 2009 12:04 AM

Answers

• Hi,

Thank you for your post.

As far as I know, you can install FCS client without MOM agent(clientsetup /nomom) on the SBS 2008 Server. And there is no support for running any FCS Server role component on 64bit and no support for running on SBS2008. For more information, you may refer to: http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb404245.aspx

Regards,

Nick Gu - MSFT
    • Proposed as answer by Nick Gu - MSFT Friday, October 30, 2009 2:34 AM
    • Marked as answer by Nick Gu - MSFT Wednesday, November 4, 2009 8:13 AM
    Wednesday, October 28, 2009 3:02 AM