none
Group Policy Service Failed the Logon RRS feed

• Question

• Hi All,

A bit of a generic question here as I don't have much to go on, but over the last month or two so we've started seeing more and more users seeing the "Group Policy Service Failed the Logon" error who then can't log onto the PC. We use roaming profiles too, so once they see that error it seems to then corrupt their roaming profile stopping them from logging on anywhere.

Other users can log onto the PCs without issue.

We've been seeing the problem occasionally since moving to Windows 7 years ago, but there seems to have been a sudden spike.

We're Windows 7 SP1, patched with the latest updates...

Thanks

Thursday, September 7, 2017 9:58 AM

All replies

• Hi,

Would you please help to clarify whether this issue happen on all domain users, or just this one; whether it happen on all PC or just this one.

You should firstly try to logon with local user profile to see if the error still exists. If you can logon with the local user profile, try these steps:

1.Delete the roaming profile on both local side and server side

On client, right-click computer-Properties-Change settings-System properties- Advanced-Settings-Delete the roaming profile.

On server, delete the network share folder

2.Delete the cookies are in the Roaming portion of the profile in this path:
    %USERPROFILE%\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Cookies

If both user profile and roaming profile are unable to logon, please delete the local user profile in addtition:

Locate and then expand the following registry subkey:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\ProfileList

In the left pane, look for the folder name starting with S-1-5 (SID key) followed by a long number. then click each folder and locate ProfileImagePath from the right pane, double click to verify that this is the user account profile that you want to delete.

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Friday, September 8, 2017 5:58 AM
  • Hi,

What is going on with the logon issue? If you have any problems, feel free to contact me.

Best regards,

Vivian

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Monday, September 11, 2017 1:19 AM
  • Hi Vivian,

Apologies for the delay in replying! I'm stretched quite thin across a number of issues and things pop up all the time i have to deal with before getting back to the longer standing issues like this... :)

It's happening on numerous PCs for numerous users unfortunately. 90% of the time the roaming and/or local profile can be wiped and the issue goes away but sometimes neither is working, it affects all accounts that log on and we're wiping the PC to resolve it.

Thanks

Andy

Thursday, November 30, 2017 3:32 PM
  • We're still seeing these - we can fix them, what I'm wondering are there common causes that we may be experiencing that we can implement workarounds/fixes to avoid?

We use roaming profiles on desktops and local profiles on laptops (all domain accounts) and it affects both.

Thanks

Tuesday, January 9, 2018 11:02 AM