none
PXE Error: Litetouch deployment failed, Return Code = -2147467259 0x80004005 RRS feed

• Question

• Let me start off saying I’m not a dedicated server administrator, I’m running my organization’s PXE/WDS/MDT process without any formal training so please excuse my lack of knowledge.

Windows could not collect information for [OSImage] since the specified image file [\\PXESERVER\DeploymentShare$\Operating Systems\Windows 7 SP1 X64 Baseline 2.0\Sources\\PXESERVER\DeploymentShare$\Operating Systems\Windows 7 SP1 X64 Baseline 2.0.\Windows 7 SP1 X64 Baseline 2.0.wim] does not exist.

Litetouch deployment failed, Return Code = -2147467259 0x80004005

I'm running into an error when PXE booting a machine which states my image file does not exist. Of course I can navigate to the directory that ‘does not exist’ on the server and find the .wim file so I’m not sure why this is occurring. Here is a link to the errors: imgur. [com] /a/Lp7wg

I've done some googling on the issue already but can't seem to find any solution. I’ve tried completely regenerating the boot images (didn’t work), using an old task sequence that I knew worked with other images (didn’t work), and recapturing the virtual machine and importing into deployment workbench again (didn’t work). I did find a link that suggests it is due to a mismatch in build numbers between my captured image from VM and the Windows 7 x64 SP1 setup files, however I’ve not been able to find any way to resolve that issue short of possibly setting up a new VM with the older build number of the Windows 7 x64 SP1 setup files and somehow preventing any windows updates that would change the build number. That would of course be a waste of time to have an image without updates. 

Another common theory for this type of problem says that the setup files are corrupt and need to be re-burned, preferably at 4x speed with a non-SATA burner. The setup files i'm using aren't from a disc to my knowledge so I don't think I have that issue.

During my googling I discovered the importance of the smts.log file but if I hit shift-f10 on the machine after getting the error I can’t access the log from cmd. Access denied. I don’t know of any other way to access the log, I suppose I could try slaving the hard drive of the machine being PXE’d  to a working computer and trying to access the log file that way but I doubt it would be accessible.

Windows Server 2008 R2

MDT 2010 Update 1

Microsoft Deployment Workbench Version 5.1.1642.01

Windows Deployment Services 6.1.7600.16385

WAIK Version 2.0.0.0

I'd really appreciate any help I could get on this issue.

Thanks,

Cody

Monday, July 20, 2015 3:34 PM

Answers

• It must be something in your deployment share. I know that's a nebulous answer, but it's hard to say without being able to take a look at your deployment share. As Ty mentioned earlier you need to figure out where that's coming from.

Take a look at the templates, maybe someone edited them. \Program Files\Microsoft Deployment Toolkit\Templates. There are Unattend templates, but the path to "Install.wim" in those templates should be replaced with the proper path when you create a new task sequence and select your image.

If this post is helpful please vote it as Helpful or click Mark for answer.

• Marked as answer by Cody888 Thursday, July 23, 2015 6:38 PM
    Tuesday, July 21, 2015 7:21 PM

All replies

• If this is your full path, then it won't work since it's an invalid path.

\\PXESERVER\DeploymentShare$\Operating Systems\Windows 7 SP1 X64 Baseline 2.0\Sources\\PXESERVER\DeploymentShare$\Operating Systems\Windows 7 SP1 X64 Baseline 2.0.\Windows 7 SP1 X64 Baseline 2.0.wim

Take a look at your unattend file. Look for the section <InstallFrom> (It's in the windowsPE pass) and you "should" see a path of ".\Operating Systems\Windows 7 SP1 X64 Baseline 2.0.\Windows 7 SP1 X64 Baseline 2.0.wim".

Unless you meant when you try to PXE boot you aren't even getting to deployment wizard. When you generate a new boot image you need to update your PXE server with the new boot image(s).

Monday, July 20, 2015 3:59 PM
  • Thanks for the quick reply. I looked at the unattend.xml file and under InstallFrom Properties the Path is .\Operating Systems\Windows 7 Pro x64\Sources\install.wim. I shouldn't change that though should i? I have other task sequences using different captures/wims that rely on that install.wim for windows PE, wouldn't changing that to Windows 7 SP1 X64 Baseline 2.0.wim break windows PE and thus prevent PXE booting? Or am i (more likely) not understanding that correctly?

I completely regenerated the boot images again and added them into WDS, still getting the same error.

The machine I'm imaging gets through selecting the task sequence and starts the Lite Touch Installation before failing shortly after with the errors.

Monday, July 20, 2015 6:14 PM
  • To solve this you would want to know why is ".\Operating Systems\Windows 7 SP1 X64 Baseline 2.0.\Windows 7 SP1 X64 Baseline 2.0.wim" being asked for but, unattend wants ".\Operating Systems\Windows 7 Pro x64\Sources\install.wim"

What does your Task Sequence reference?

Under Operating Systems what path is the interesting OS?

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.

Monday, July 20, 2015 6:24 PM
  • The task sequence under Install Operating System points to Windows 7 SP1 X64 Baseline 2.0.wim.
    Monday, July 20, 2015 6:41 PM
  • When you create a task sequence it'll ask you what image you want to use. When you choose your image MDT will write that path into the unattend file. If you change where you image is stored or delete the image, MDT will not dynamically update your unattend file with a new location or image. You will need to update the unattend file or create a new TS based on your new image. If you just changed the folder name, it's easier to just edit your unattend file.

Monday, July 20, 2015 6:48 PM
  • So change the OSImage>InstallFrom>Path from

.\Operating Systems\Windows 7 Pro x64\Sources\install.wim

to

.\Operating Systems\Windows 7 SP1 X64 Baseline 2.0\Windows 7 SP1 X64 Baseline 2.0.wim

Then save the unattend and try running that task sequence again?

Monday, July 20, 2015 6:56 PM
  • If that is where the image for that TS is supposed to be.

The path that it's currently set to sounds like it's from a TS that was designed to deploy a stock copy of Windows (as in if you were building a reference image). The path you seem to want to use is that of a custom image.

Monday, July 20, 2015 7:09 PM
  • Well i made that change but it had no effect, still had the same error. I created a new task sequence and verified it was showing the right InstallFrom path, still showed the error.

Usually we use a custom task sequence template to create task sequences but even when i created another new TS from the built-in Standard Client Task Sequence the error still came up.

I looked through the unattend.xml file again but I'm not seeing anything that looks out of place under the windowsPE component.

Tuesday, July 21, 2015 5:29 PM
  • It must be something in your deployment share. I know that's a nebulous answer, but it's hard to say without being able to take a look at your deployment share. As Ty mentioned earlier you need to figure out where that's coming from.

Take a look at the templates, maybe someone edited them. \Program Files\Microsoft Deployment Toolkit\Templates. There are Unattend templates, but the path to "Install.wim" in those templates should be replaced with the proper path when you create a new task sequence and select your image.

• Marked as answer by Cody888 Thursday, July 23, 2015 6:38 PM
    Tuesday, July 21, 2015 7:21 PM
  • I tried creating a custom TS and manually setting everything up, still got the same error. Eventually i decided to just cut the .wim and .clg files from one of our old image's operating system folders and paste in the files from the newly captured image, then rename them to the old image names. Ran another PXE installation and everything works correctly now. I'm not sure what the underlying issue is but at least it works now.

Thanks a ton for everyone's help, hopefully something here will prove useful to someone else in the future.

Thursday, July 23, 2015 6:38 PM