none
SharePoint 2016 - "Microsoft SharePoint Foundation Usage Data Import" job failed after update RRS feed

• Question

• After updating SharePoint 2016 farm with a security update (KB 4484436) the job "Microsoft SharePoint Foundation Usage Data Import" started failing with an access denied error to the path "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\Web Server Extensions\16\LOGS":

Even ID: 6398

The Execute method of job definition Microsoft.SharePoint.Administration.SPUsageImportJobDefinition (ID f60a711a-9388-4ffd-9dee-266f4a96e469) threw an exception. More information is included below.

Access to the path 'C:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\Web Server Extensions\16\LOGS' is denied.. (Correlation=ba92789f-d81e-30ae-0b44-acf6f314e162)

Looking at the security settings on the folder I noticed that there was only the standard users/groups, no permissions for "WSS_*" groups.
    So the update, for some reason, removed the permission on the LOGS folder.

I have to say that we changed the ULS logs location, so that folder just contains the "Usage Data Collection" logs.

To fix the issue I just re-submitted the settings on from "Central admin" > "Monitoring" > "Configure usage and health data collection". The permissions on the folder has been restored and the job started to run successfully again.

I hope this could be helpful.

Regards,
    Francesco

Thursday, September 10, 2020 9:26 AM

All replies