Help please : the server you are connected to is using a security certificate that can not be verified. The target principal name is incorrect RRS feed

• Question

• I keep getting that message every time I log into my outlook (outlook 2019)  I have gone online to find a solution (youtube)  but the screens they get (one said click on tools, I have no column labled tools) I don't have on my computer.  I can go to my account bring it up and click on my email address that is listed there.  I click on change (tried repair and nothing) it says it successfully has fixed it but when I log out and back in again, I get the same message.  I have to continually click install certificate.  I just noticed now that after the verified part it says    the target principal name is incorrect.   Please help ***@***
    Sunday, December 16, 2018 3:38 AM

All replies

• Hi, On the popup error please click the View Certificate button and look at the "Issued to" name, make sure the name is exactly what you used for your incoming and outgoing server in your account configuration. If not, change the setting to the same you see in "Issued to" name and test again.

Please refer the links below 

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/ie/en-US/fb2226e9-979e-4af6-bb5d-9710e0e5919a/the-target-principal-name-is-incorrect?forum=outlook

https://www.slipstick.com/outlook/security-warnings-in-outlook/

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.

Sunday, December 16, 2018 12:58 PM
  • Hi byasinski,

What’s your account type? Exchange, POP or IMAP?

According to my research, usually you get this error when you are using a shared hosting account with your own domain and connect via SSL. Another common cause is that your ISP has changed the name of their mail server and is redirecting you from the old server name to the new one and the name of the old server isn’t on their new SSL certificate.

In addition to Thuyavan Ganesan, I found one article here for your reference: Cannot verify Security Certificate warning

(Please Note: Since the web site is not hosted by Microsoft, the link may change without notice. Microsoft does not guarantee the accuracy of this information.)

If you have further concern, please feel free to post back.

Regards,

Perry

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Click here to learn more. Visit the dedicated forum to share, explore and talk to experts about Microsoft Teams.

• Proposed as answer by Perry-Pan Tuesday, December 18, 2018 5:33 AM
    • Unproposed as answer by Perry-Pan Thursday, December 27, 2018 6:09 AM
    • Proposed as answer by Perry-Pan Thursday, December 27, 2018 6:09 AM
    Monday, December 17, 2018 4:08 AM
  • Hi byasinski,

Just check how is everything going on with this issue? Do you still get this error?

If you have further concern, please feel free to tell us.

Regards,

Perry

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Click here to learn more. Visit the dedicated forum to share, explore and talk to experts about Microsoft Teams.

Wednesday, December 19, 2018 6:08 AM