Email Address Policy - Mail User (Contact) RRS feed

• Question

• Testing ...

I added a new email address policy test.com to the email address policy which by default includes all recipient types which also means users with external email addresses and contact with external email addresses.  I set this new email address to be the primary email address which it worked as expected and changed the users primary email addresses to test.com.

However I noticed the policy did not touch the mail user(contacts) which have external email addresses though the option is selected on the mail user contacts to "Automatically update email addresses based on email address policy".  How come this was not touched/changed even  though when I created the new email policy by default it includes all recipient types???  Is it by design???

I don't want the policy to change the mail user contact addresses ...cos I want them to be external. 

I also know while creating the new email policy I can target certain recipients.  I am just wondering/testing the default and as to how come the mail user contacts were not modified?

Thank u

Monday, April 27, 2015 2:36 AM

Answers

• Hi ,

In addition to ED suggestion's , please make sure those mail enabled contacts are not cross forest mail contacts.In case if they are normal mail enabled contacts then make sure make sure that the email address policy scope is also applying to the ou on where the normal mail enabled contacts are residing.

Thanks & Regards S.Nithyanandham

Tuesday, April 28, 2015 11:36 AM

All replies

• Maybe you ought to try the Update-EmailAddressPolicy cmdlets with the Verbose switch.

Ed Crowley MVP "There are seldom good technological solutions to behavioral problems."

Monday, April 27, 2015 6:30 AM
  • thanks Ed.

update-emailaddresspolicy -Identity "Test Policy" -verbose -domaincontroller DC001.  What am I looking for in the results??

• Edited by WildPacket Monday, April 27, 2015 1:59 PM
    Monday, April 27, 2015 1:43 PM
  • Any indication of why the condition you're reporting is occurring.

Ed Crowley MVP "There are seldom good technological solutions to behavioral problems."

Monday, April 27, 2015 4:30 PM
  • ok.  Thanks. So basically the settings which I have in place based on that the mail users email addresses should change/update - correct???
    Monday, April 27, 2015 4:35 PM
  • My understanding is that mail contacts should receive e-mail address policy settings like mailboxes do, if that's what you are asking.

Monday, April 27, 2015 4:42 PM
  • Yes thanks that's what I asked.  Something is fishy and the email address policy is not applying to the mailuser contacts.
    Monday, April 27, 2015 5:07 PM
  • Hi ,

In addition to ED suggestion's , please make sure those mail enabled contacts are not cross forest mail contacts.In case if they are normal mail enabled contacts then make sure make sure that the email address policy scope is also applying to the ou on where the normal mail enabled contacts are residing.

Thanks & Regards S.Nithyanandham

Tuesday, April 28, 2015 11:36 AM
  • I have the same situation and for mail user this email adress policy doesn't work although I can see this mail users in preview window during applying policy
    Wednesday, March 2, 2016 8:05 AM