none
Mirror 2 Server 2008 RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

i am currently using server 2008 Ent edition,

the server is being used a terminal server, it is not part of any Active Directory nor does it host one.

currently i am backing up the server by using windows backup but its making huge backups on a daily base which is frankly eating away my resources.

we have a second identical machine which can be used as a Mirror, and by that i mean exact same mirror down to the last byte, so is it possible to put them on lan and have the primary copy everything, its setup, files, user profiles...everything to the Secondary machine on a daily base like a live mirror or raid..

this is so that 1 machine dies, people can just change ip and connect to the other one

i have been searching for this quite sometimes and google just shows me result fo AD mirroring or sql server mirror but nothing like what i need.

appreciate your help

regards

Abid

• Edited by abidkhanhk Wednesday, December 14, 2011 1:41 PM clarification
    Wednesday, December 14, 2011 1:39 PM

Answers

• I am afraid that this idea is not good one. Reason is that if there is an error on one server, the errorneous state is replicated. If you need high availability solution, use cluster technology. For help join the cluster forum:

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/winserverClustering/threads

Even if you have cluster you should backup. Change your plans and do full backup at the end of week, month, etc and daily increamental backup. Your bacjup media should be stored within 10minutes walk (or similar - according to the disaster recovery  plan)

Regards

Milos

Wednesday, December 14, 2011 1:57 PM

All replies

• I am afraid that this idea is not good one. Reason is that if there is an error on one server, the errorneous state is replicated. If you need high availability solution, use cluster technology. For help join the cluster forum:

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/winserverClustering/threads

Even if you have cluster you should backup. Change your plans and do full backup at the end of week, month, etc and daily increamental backup. Your bacjup media should be stored within 10minutes walk (or similar - according to the disaster recovery  plan)

Regards

Milos

Wednesday, December 14, 2011 1:57 PM
  • hi Milos

thanks for your reply, clustering would be out of the quesiton... i am not a pro at server management so i will just go with the imcremental backup.

i check the GUI and it doesnt offer much option and i am not good at CLI,

can you help me with a command which would make a incremental backup everyday to an ft server in say ftp://192.168.1.171

thanks

Wednesday, December 14, 2011 3:16 PM
  • I would divide the task into several tasks:

1. Step by step guide is here for backup

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc770266(WS.10).aspx

2. For FTP use scheduled script with one line command containing command file

ftp -s:Command_file

Command file contains somethisng like

open 192.168.1.171

administrator

my_password

binary

cd deposit_folder

put my_backup

quit

close

Please consult internet for exact syntax.

Wednesday, December 14, 2011 7:07 PM